When faced with facts, do you often resort to 'Well I'm fine'?

When discussing medical information, or scientific fact (I.E. Breast Milk os more beneficial then Formula, Organic food is better for you, You should or shouldn't vaccinate) do you often resort to personal data to confirm or support your side of the argument? I.E. well I FF and my child turned out fine? Well I vaccinated and turned out fine?

If yes, why? And do you feel that that argument really negates any statistics being presented?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It depends. It is natural to defend oneself, especially when feeling attacted (like FF mothers often do for example). However, with most things, I will also take into consideration success (or fail) stories from other people I know. Research is based off of a group of subjects & their outcomes. So, if I know a large group of people, most with a certain outcome to something, I will more likely believe that argument instead of just defending myself.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• While those arguments do not negate statistics, you must also keep in mind that statistics can be manipulated very easily and very often are. For every pro-x statistic you can throw out there, you can find another researcher who has statistics that back up the anti-x argument. I often use personal experience. Not to prove a point, but simply because that is the only thing that I can fully attest to be 100% true.

For example - In FF vs BF - My personal experience is that the one kid I FF was deathly allergic to the enzymes in the formula and almost starved to death. Therefore, when kid 2 (3 & 4) came along I BF as I never wanted to go through that ordeal again. Is that to say that I had a great diet and my babies received everything they needed from me? Who knows?! However, my personal experience has led me to be a strong supporter of BF. Just my $.02

ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 6:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• thattxmom- the example which you are referring to supports the known fact... just pointing that out.

just as MY reason for not vaxing- my personal experience supports the know side affects, risks, and statistics- which HAVE been manipulated, to not include the higher risk reactions and have them included as "acceptable risk" without being publicly announced. My children on 3 occasions fell victim to the already eradicated virus that i was naively attempting to prevent.

my argument negates not a thing. I am but an insignificant speck.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• That would be a great reason to support BF ThatTXmom (amongst other reasons). But at the same time, that doesn't always mean that all babies will react the same to formula, or that there are babies that can even easily take BF either. I also agree with the altered research, it happens everyday so that outcomes will support personal choices & ideas. Not just with BF vs FF, but with a lot of different things. Because of this, many people will jump to their defense with personal experiences to back up their own choices & ideas.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Oh yes, ObbyDobbie, I know it is supported by the "facts". But taken in another direction, what if I was a smoker, a drinker, a drug user. Wouldn't formula have been the better option? What if I had an eating disorder, etc...? The point is that my personal experiences more often than someones "research" will guide me in the decisions that I make and the opinions that I formulate. I BF the younger three because of my personal experience with formula NOT because I read a report by some fancy researcher full of statistics.

I agree with this 100% "my argument negates not a thing. I am but an insignificant speck"
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 6:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• "I BF the younger three because of my personal experience with formula NOT because I read a report by some fancy researcher full of statistics."

I think this logic should be used with most choices in life. Not to say I am against research, but every person should also take it upon themselves to find what works for them first & formost.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You can find "facts" that support both sides of all those arguments. I HAVEN'T personally done the research on it, so I'm going to go with what I know and what seems most logical to me. If that works, then it works. I wouldn't use it in an argument because what worked for me might not work for you- but that doesn't mean I don't see things that way.
    Anonymous