How hard is it to be a military wife?

well im about to officially be a military wife. YAyyyyyy. only a few weeks to go. i'm a little nervous because i know there are going to be deployments. any advice or tips.

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 6:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• I cant say its hard, im a little different then most other spouses. My husband joined the Army Nov 2004 and left for boot camp on Nov 4th when our first daughter was 2 months old. After that he went to AIT and then flew to Germany in April 2005. I followed him with our daughter Aug 2005 and we lived in germany since that date until July 2007. we moved to WA state (this is where we are now). His first deployment he ever gone to was April 2008-July 2009 (15 months) yes it was hard because i do not drive or have a license. Personal stuff right there i rather not talk about. But i used a taxi or asked friends to take me places and gave them gas money. he was gone for such a long time! Now with two kids 5 and 3 1/2 and one more on the way due April 1st its been good. He is supposed to Re-Deploy this oct for 12 months but nothing is official yet.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 6:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• im in same boat as you girl. young and married to love of my life. my husband leaves in 6 weeks! ah :( for basic and then straight to AIT.. im so worried so many questions. so i cant really answer into the life yet. but if you have pre questions about the process i prob can help. nd if you want to ever talk im always here.
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 6:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• In peacetime years ago my husband was active duty. Still then his travels overseas in peaceful countries were worrisome. Getting involved in volunteering in Community Services on base could help you in different places, volunteering in the base hospital too.

I don't know you but I can absolutely say that I am proud of what you're about to become - a wife and a wife to a U S Military Man.

God Bless you and Thank YOU>
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I got married to my AF hubby the day after i turned 18 and 4 years later we are still good.
    we spent most of being together apart and we made it work because we love each other, support him in everything that he does and never regreat it. there are a lot of wives groups that go out and do things.
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 6:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• @mommadent
    hes been in for 7 seven yrs(navy) and were gtn married in less than amonth and then hes going for training as a navy seal. i no we will have alot of time when we cant be together. im just nervous about having the kids while hes away and the thoughts that he may not make it back to us.
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 7:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• @armywifelovely
    thank you so much. maybe we can help eeach other thru :)
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 7:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• @lfl
    thank you so much for the support. i know it wont be easy but hes serving our country and thats a great thing so ill just be his support and back bone
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 7:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• its honestly not that hard to be an army wife. life is about over coming obstacles and the world doesnt stop just because he leaves. but its always like we are in the honeymoon stage bc he is home for a year gone for a year and a half but now he is home with me every night thanks to recruiting :)
    KBix

Answer by KBix at 7:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I have been through 2 deployments with my husband, and they were hard but worht it! My husband is going on his 3rd deployment in August right before our little girl turns 1 year old. Just write him letters and stay in touch with him! Stay true to him! I have known so many men in the military get hurt because their wives or GF cheat on them. Everything will be fine Im sure! Good Luck! :)
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 7:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• If you both are 100% committed to making it work, in spite of the harder stuff (separation, long hours, stresses at work), it really isn't that bad. We've been in for 4 years, and while the military has been hard, it's also been really beneficial and a really special time of our lives.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 8:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2010