Narrow pelvic canal?

My doctor told me that I MAY need a c-section because my pelvic canal is too narrow for the baby to fit through (if the baby is 8lbs plus) with taking into consideration that my husband and I were both large babies. The doctor said that this may change throughout my pregnancy and I may be able to deliver a large baby vaginally. Has anyone else had this problem? I am just wondering if this is common.

lkuhn

Asked by lkuhn at 6:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• One of my dear friends had this issue. All 3 babys were c-section.

Dont worry about it.... the main concern is a healthy baby... no matter how she/he gets out.
    Anonymous

• My first baby got stuck in the birth canal (he was 8 lbs, 9 oz) - I only WISH they had done a csection! My next two were induced early to avoid them being "full term" (ie large) and my 4th was delivered by csection. I am pregnant with my 5th and he will be a planned csection as well.

Answer by missanc at 6:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Have you had an accident or genetic problem? This is a rare complication that can't be proven until vaginal delivery is attempted.
    Making sure that you work with your body in labor is incredibly important!   Lying down closes the pelvic outlet and baby/body can not work with gravity (how mom is designed).

Have you read this?       Pelvises I have known and loved. 

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• also:

the pelvis and the baby's head are not fixed bone structures. During labor the pelvis opens, allowing room for the baby, whose head molds to fit. The pelvis will actually open up 33% larger than it's pre-pregnant size with a squatting position. There are several factors that contribute to this. First a hormone called relaxin is released during the latter part of pregnancy which soften the ligaments and cartilage surrounding the pelvis. Also different positions assumed during labor will change the dimensions of the pelvis such as walking, climbing stairs and squatting. This combined with the flexibility of the baby's head gives ample room for babies to move through the pelvis. The baby's head is made up of five plates that are connected with soft tissues that allow it to mold during the birth process as the baby travels through the pelvis. These bones return to their pre-birth state within hours of birth.
    doulala

• i would find another doctor or midwife. and have confidence in your body! congrats on your pregnancy :)
    Anonymous

• I think a medical text book might make you feel more confident. The pelvic bone is 2 pieces joined with cartilage. Labor hormone will cause that cartilage to stretch and soften and even dissolve a little in some women. Your bones actually separate and that is normal.

You got some good info from doulala.

If you aren't comfortable with a c-section or feel your doctor is pressuring you, talk to other docs in the practice. The more comfortable you are with your care, the better able you will be to have a healthy and happy delivery. A midwife assisted delivery is less likely to end in a c-section.

Have confidence in your ability to birth your baby how you choose.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• After 37 hr of labor and him not entering my birth canal while i was dialated to an 8 they did a c section on me. Come to find out i had a low pubic arch like my mother and he wouldnt fit (he was 8lb 8oz born at 39 wks) and doc said i would prob always have a c sect cuz of it.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2010