How to protect my countertop from high heat from elec. skillet?

I'm frying chicken right now, and I put my hand on the counter under it to see if it was heating my counter. I can't even touch it for long because it's so hot. My counters are marble, or at least look like it. I don't think it's real marble, but it's not laminate either. probably granite or something. Is there something I can buy to put under my electric skillet to keep my counters from getting too hot? They're dark counters, but I don't want them to get damaged.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 6:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Be sure the potholders/mitts do not touch the bottom of the skillet. It is a fire hazard. It is much safer to place the skillet on a cutting board..on a cookie sheet that has had pads under it.. I would not place fabric of anykind under aan elec. skillet.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Put some of your hot pads under it if there is room to slip it under. If you have an acrylic cutting board, put that under it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Real stone can not be damaged by heat. But I always put my skillet over my stove. Just to keep splatters and things on it. Just habit I guess. But the hot pad idea would work too...anything to keep the heat from reaching the surface.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Ok thanks, I guess I could use my little oven mitts :)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• We have a large wooden cutting board to put under ours. It even has a groove around the inside edge so the skillet won't slide off. I wouldn't suggest putting it on the stove if you have open burners because any grease splatters that aren't cleaned up might start a fire. It will definitely leave a mess that is not fun to clean. We have a smooth-top stove so we could do it, but I don't like to put things on it.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2010