Why did Dems Join GOP Opposition to Gitmo Transfers to Yemen?

Some Democrats are joining Republican lawmakers in opposing the transfer of suspected terrorists from the Guantanamo Bay prison to Yemen, citing Al Qaeda's increased activity in the poor Arab nation.

President Obama's top counterterrorism adviser, John Brennan, told Fox News that the transfers will continue if the administration deems them warranted.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/03/dems-join-gop-opposition-gitmo-transfers-yemen

Do these transfers make sense?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 6:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm with the Dems opposing this. Putting them in Yemen is so stupid, it should be a no brainer!
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Another article: 

Feinstein: Halt transfers to Yemen

The senior Democrat on the Senate intelligence committee wants no more Guantanamo Bay detainees released to Yemen in the wake of a Christmas Day terrorist attack hatched in that country.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/73883-senior-democrat-halt-detainee-transfers-to-yemen

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Now they show they can think for themselves!!!!!!!!!! Where was this ability when the UHC vote was happening I ask you?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• The Dems who backed the GOP are the ones with balls & backbones.  It's incredibly stupid to send them back to a terrorist training ground and expect them to be "good", just because Obama wants it to be that way.

Obama must be drinking his own Koolaid if he actually thinks this is a good idea. 

Anonymous

• IMO, releasing these people knowing they are going to take up arms against us again borders on treason. I think a halt should be put to everything regarding the moving of ANYONE at Gitmo.

It doesn't surprise me some of the Dems are squealing...it isn't long until November and there are a lot of necks on the chopping block. I just hate it when politicians blow whichever the way the wind blows.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• The GOP was opposed to transfers to Yemen? Thats funny where was this opposition when the Bush administration transferred loads during the close of that administratio?. Also I take issue with the "bandwagoning" undertones of your question. The reason SOME congressional dems now oppose releasing Yemeni prisoners is in light of new evidence that some have rejoined terrorists networks.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Thats what the GOP gets for trying to please the libs. The evidence of released prisoners rejoing the fight is nothing new.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• The reason SOME congressional dems now oppose releasing Yemeni prisoners is in light of new evidence that some have rejoined terrorists networks.

Which is something that has been discussed since Obama said he was going to close Gitmo.  But there were all of his followers, cheering in crowds that he was going to do this great humanitarian thing.  Either it was a good idea or it wasn't.  I think it's time for y'all to decide. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Rivero, Bush released some of these terrorists and then went right back to their terrorist cells. It was a Very Bad Idea.

Obama is doing the same stupid thing Bush did.  Do you, Ms. Rivero, think it is a good idea?

Apparently the GOP has Learned from previous mistakes, Rivero.  Obama promised change but is walking in Bush's footsteps.  I for one am sick of the "Bush did it too" method of deflection. 

MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 10:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• MunchMunch you seem intelligent and worthy of debating but until you address me by my CafeMom name I will not answer you. Ms. Rivero is not my name. Never has been. So if you'd like to follow Carpy's charades than I will treat you like I treat Carpy.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:25 AM on Jan. 4, 2010