Bad stress

I started my second trimester Christmas Eve and Christmas day I started bleeding and had a very traumatic experience at our ER where (among many other things) the attending told me my baby was absolutely going to die. I had to wait three days for my ob's office to reopen where I find out that my baby is actually very ok and I have a 95% chance of going to term. But since Christmas, I've lost six pounds, I sleep a lot and just feel absolutely weak and unwell. I saw some friends for an hour NYE and the next day felt a lot better so I know all this is coming from stress. Feeling better didn't last, though, and I know stress that can affect me like this is bad for the baby. I don't know what to do! DH has been beyond amazing and helpful, I do feel like the pregnancy is ok, and I'm getting rest and trying to do relaxing things but I just can't get past the ER visit. I'm still so upset and angry by what happened. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Can you get a different ob? Your ob should not have been closed to you under those circumstances at all. I am so angry for you right now!!!!

You are still close to the beginning of your pregnancy just starting 2nd tri. I was told very scary things of death in two of my pregnancies too each wiped me out for the rest of my pregnancies.

Can your husband each night at a set time massage your shoulders and legs? Also there are some massuseas (sp?) who work with pregnant women. Maybe if you're husband's just can't cause of work, maybe you can have massage appt. at your home.

Is the attending who saw you - is that a board certified obstetrician? You had the right for the attending if not board certified to have gotten the on call board certified ob in there for you. Just about all e r's have board certified medical field specific doctors oversee per rotation shift every student doctor.

How WONDERFUL for you that babys ok!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Ohh, I feel your pain. I will never again let a regular MD touch me. I had a similar experience over Thanksgiving. Try to put out of your mind what the ER doc said, go with what your OB says. Baby's fine, thank goodness! Take a warm bath, go get a massage... take the time to rest and sleep as much as you need to.
    If you REALLY feel strongly about your ER visit, you can write a letter to risk management at the hospital, detailing your experience. They will look into it. It's what I'm doing about my horrible experience.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 7:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2010