Would you rather give money to a church or a hungry family ?

I hear people gripe all the time about not wanting to help people on PA .
I also know families will not help family members or in need , Or donate to charitible organizations that feed the hungry . But think nothing of cutting a check to a church that is in " desperate financial need " , Or a church that is overly extravgant and yet berates a poor person ? What is up with that ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'd never give directly to a church,I've seen where the money can go,onto the backs of the Pastors kids.
    Anonymous

• I think there are GOOD and BAD people on PA...I also know there are GOOD and BAD churches to give money too.

I choose to do both. I think hard about who and where my money goes. Hopefully I make good decisions.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Foodbanks in my area are around year round in supermarkets plus for help. I give as much as I can each trip to the supermarket. Food is the most essential need for life.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Some people think giving to a church, the money will help the masses instead of just one family. They also respect the concept of Tithing. Once a person tithes (to a church or wherever they give their money) they have done their part. It's up to the church (or whatever) to do good with that money in God's name. Even if the church squanders that money, the original giver gets the blessing. The authority in the church is held accountable to God for why it didn't go where God wanted it to go. As for helping individuals, everyone should listen to where God tells you to give. He may want you (universal "you") to do both, give to a family and the church. I heard one time that you can't outgive God so you would double your blessings if you listened and gave to both.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• franky i dont like giving money to anyone.. I would rather give things they NEED. i will not give a homeless person money. EVER. i will buy them a cheeseburger or some water though and give them that. Or durring christmas give needy familys food for christmas dinner , toys for their children.. ect.. I dont give money to anyone..I dont go to church (i do believe in God, just not church) so i wouldnt give any money to a church.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Its usually based on their own experiences. I don't think of  donations as an either or situation. I donate to my church because its important to me and they need to pay their light bill like everyone else, and my church funds programs that I enjoy and support. I also donate to charitable organizations.

There is a lot of abuse of PA and if you work with the public and see it on a regular basis it can be hard to not judge and people will sometimes decide not to donate because of it. I try not to judge and I don't let another persons decision to abuse PA to be a reason or an excuse for me not to donate because I know many have a real need and its what Jesus called us to do.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Well, since I don't attend church. why would I donate my money to one? And, when it comes to donating money, I usually give to Riley Children's Hospital. As far as helping a needy family, I would be more inclined to actually get them what they need (food, clothes, bill payment) just to ensure myself that it is going to what it should.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• i'm guessing OP knows personally of an 'overly extravagant church who berates a poor person'..surely, she's not generalizing all financially-blessed churches. :))
    having been churched all my life, and knowing a thing or two about finances (ahem!), it would be possible to assume a church/organization 'in desperate financial need' is so because of poor stewardship, or handling of their monies. you don't come into desperation all of the sudden unless there has been a natural disaster...i find it hard to believe churches are in desperate need all the time..if they are, i wouldn't be entrusting my tithes/donations/offerings to it.
    but for the question..if you do attend a certain church regularly, why not do both? if you don't trust your church, there are deeper issues at stake rather than your tithing and their handling of such.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• also, i give to God/tithe, and donate to charities, some local-some not. just today, i pm-ed a CMer who answered a post last year about 'what am i gonna do with all my dh's clothes?'..she answered me, and said she'd take them. she needed them, so she got them. now, i've got more for her.
    giving is simple..doesn't matter who gets the 'gift'. someone, even the giver, is blessed.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• A hungry family anytime!

Answer by older at 7:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2010