Need to move out of state! Please advise!

Hello Ladies! I am a single mom of three and cannot afford to live in California anymore. I need to move by this summer so your advice means a lot! I have been considering Colorado, Georgia (near Marietta), Oregon (near Beaverton) and Texas. As a single mom with children safety and good schools is a priority. Also very important: Diversity (and acceptance) of different ethnicities. I thank all of you for your advice!

1stronglady

Asked by 1stronglady at 6:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Texas not very accepting in smaller towns. Larger areas such as Houston and Austin are very diverse and accepting but I would steer clear of smaller towns in Texas or anywhere in the south.
    Anonymous

• Oregon is better than any of those choices as for acceptance and diversity not to mention better schools and economy.
    Anonymous

• we just drove through the most beautiful little town - brattlboro vermont.... but it is mostly white.... not sure of the people but it was soooo beautiful.
    Anonymous

• I live in Raleigh, NC which isn't one of the places you mentioned but I love it here! The weather is nice (most of the year anyway!), and I have a hard time understanding there's a recession going on, because they are still building like crazy - new office buildings and apartments that don't sit empty for long, and nobody I know is out of work! The schools are excellent, I have no complaints. And for the most part, we leave our doors unlocked (although there are certain parts of town - downtown - where I wouldn't do that, of course!)

Answer by missanc at 7:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• San Antonio Texas is a very diverse area. As of Dec 1st still the 5th strongest economy in the US right now. Do you have any skills that would make you eligible to work as a Defense contractor? LOTS of defense jobs opportunity. If you by chance are a nurse, in good standing, you can write your own ticket. We are desperately short on nurses.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I agree about Vermont but that's far away, but good people there. So my vote is for the Beaverton area of Portland, or Wilsonville or just Portland itself, it's a great town. Otherwise, Colorado. Is affordability an issue? I grew up in Oregon, it's tolerant and diverse in the Portland area. I love Montana too and that's affordable.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Jesus Anon...yeah...AALLLL the racist people live down south ::shakes head:: Georgia is very pretty and I have family that love it there. As for the schools and such...that can vary from county to county ANY place you go! Just keep in mind there are stupid, Racist and ignorant people...as the first Anon so aptly showed :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Use this site, it will show you the cost of living difference so you know you wont be getting in over your head again.

I cant tell you Oklahoma is not bad. Iived there it is nice pretty and can be pretty cheap.I know in midwest city some apartments you can get a 3 bed for 600 a month

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_start.asp

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Are you freaking serious anon?
    I live in Las Vegas and racism is the biggest thing here.
    Mexicans treat everyone like crap, blacks thing they are all mighty, and the whites here are just a bunch of jerk offs.
    I for one cant wait to get back to a SMALL SOUTHERN town where racism WAS NOT an issue.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Thank you for all of your answers Ladies! I will check out the website (that was very helpful). I would like to know what makes the areas diverse- are there different ethnicities living there, or are the people tolorant of other cultures. I am a single mom so I would like to move to a "more reasonable state" when it comes to cost of a home. I had friends push me toward San Antonio, Marietta and Portland. I love trees! To be near water (a lake will do) is a plus! Thanks again!!!! If you have any more suggestions I would greatly appreciated it (specific info on schools and housing is great)
    1stronglady

Answer by 1stronglady at 11:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2010