Well I am due today.....

.....but my little babygirl obviously didn't get the memo and isn't here yet. This is my first so I am so anxious to meet her! I go back to the Dr. tomorrow and they're going to do another NST (non-stress test) on the baby, and then talk about inducing. Has anyone on here gotten induced? I've heard some good and bad stories....but I am just curious to know how long your Dr. waited to induce you and what factors went into the decision? Thanks.

BLoNdIe121679

Asked by BLoNdIe121679 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i was induced at 41 weeks... i didnt have him until I was 42 weeks. I was in the hospital for 5 days... I was induced the first day and a half started going through labor the second night and was in labor until 9:12pm the next day and I ended up having to have a c-section because his leg was stuck on the umbilical cord.
    mandie_jean

Answer by mandie_jean at 7:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I was induced at 38 weeks - due to concerns over size based on my previous birth experience (my first was 8 lbs 9 oz and got stuck in the birth canal). It was great for me; knowing when it was going to happen made it a very calm experience and I was able to relax knowing my two older kids were being well cared for with my mom. My contractions weren't any stronger being induced than with my non induced vaginal births. At 6 they started the pitocin and I had my baby girl shortly after 11.

Answer by missanc at 7:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• The 40 week date is the mid-point of the 38-42 week due period, right? So you really shouldn't worry (or expect) baby by this day. You have reached the mid-point, though! ;-)
    But~ since it's your first, you might want to factor in the average for first-time baby gestation: 41 weeks, 1 day.

You can wait until you're overdue (not just postdate) to discuss induction risks and benefits, if you'd like. When it comes to weighing risks, it can be great to understand facts and risks before making any decisions.

I regret my non-medical induction. My water had been broken for over a week, I was 40 weeks, now I know better! I encourage moms to get better educated than I was then. :-(

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• personally i wouldn't consider being induced just because of dates unless i was already 2 weeks past my EDD. so if it were me, and my doctor talked about inducing so soon, i would say i wasn't interested. my son was born at 41 weeks. at my last prenatal appt at 40.5 weeks, my midwife said we would talk about induction at my next appt (which would have been around 41.5 weeks). i wanted everything to be as natural as possible to reduce risks.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• its normal for first babies to be late for some. mine made her arrival at 41 weeks (showed up at the hospital in labour an hour before my induction appt lol)

had an induction with #3 (after being in nonproductive labour 6 week). it was very fast and furious. a normal labour (for most) is a gradual start that you can get used to but an induction is like going from 0-60 in one second. there's no easing into it. you have to realize that its going to be like that - you don't have much time to work your way into it.

I'd wait it out - let labour start on its own unless its absolutely necessary.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• IMO there is nothing wrong with being induced. I was & me & baby boy are just fine 13 months later! I honestly felt better being induced because they could control mainly what was happening & it wouldn't be a surprise & DH trying to rush home get a shower n rush to the hospitial. ( He works in coal dust n nasty stuff) Now I was induced because my LO didn't have any fluid around him. but just like everyday women have scheulde c-sections (which I think is a little much) but each to their own. GL momma, let me know how it goes!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2010