Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I babysat last year and want to claim it on my taxes...

Will the IRS need some sort of proof that I babysat? I don't have receipts... Just curious how claiming self employment income works...

Answer Question

Asked by kitten_shuga at 7:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 3 (13 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • if you didnt get taxes taken out i dont think you can get anything from the government that there are no papers.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • go to It will give you all the info on claiming your income, withholdings, etc. I believe you have to make 600 or more to claim it.

    Answer by lowencope at 7:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • As far as I know you have to submit payment forms, too, along with the income tax and self-employment tax forms, so your employers must submit forms saying they paid you and how much.

    Answer by Bmat at 7:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • You would needed to have filed it as employment with the state. Meaning getting a daycare license. If you didn't aquire a daycare license, AND didn't file it as employment with the state then you cannot put it on your taxes. Even with a reciept it is not considered employment unless you filed it with the state and aquired a license.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • if you were doing it under the table then you can't

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • You should check the IRS definitions for household employee to understand how they consider the work you did.
    If you are considered a household employee then there isn't much you can do unless your employer gives you a W2.
    Whether you had a license or not really doesn't have anything to do with a tax return.
    In California you can regularly look after children from one family in your own home and you do not have to get a license.
    You would need to have a diary or some other proof (written agreement) of when you worked so that you know how much to declare.

    Answer by AussieMum2 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • I know a few of the answers are totally wrong. I babysat for a woman a few years back and made around $5,000. I claimed it on my taxes because she was and all we needed to do was exchange social security numbers...

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • Scehule C

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • What are you trying to do here? Do you have expenses you want to deduct? Or do you just want to say you made the money? Any earned income should be recorded on your taxes. Generally, if it's a small enough amount you do not have to record it. Many states have rules about who can watch children and require licenses. If you record it as miscelleneous income, you will most likely be fine, but will have to pay self employment taxes on it. If it's a large amount, the IRS may want to know where the money is coming from and see if there are other fees they (or the state) can collect such as licenses, registartion fees, etc. It depends. Check out and research Schedule C, self employment income, and household employee.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.