What is a good age for the "talk"?

What age should you or did you talk to you children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• My mom starting talking to me about things when I was 8. It started out very medical. She had great books that were age appropriate. We had a constant open dialogue. Every year I got some new book about my changing body. That's how we plan to do it with our kids.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• It should trickle out. When they are little and see a tampon give them a little info. (boys and girls) when they ask about the difference about a boy and a girl give them a little info. When they see a pregnant woman give them a little info. If you do it this way you wont have to "have the talk" in such a big scary way... it will just come out bit by bit in an age appropriate way. Dont be afraid to answer ALL questions as they come... just make sure it is appropriate to your childs understanding of the world.

My kids boys and girls knew about periods from about 3 on. A about how babys come out from the same age or a bit older depending on which child. About sex from 7-9 depending on which child. Masterbation when they asked... about 5/6 grade. Sadly abortion about 5/6 grade... one even younger (God that was the worst conversation of my life). About gay sex when they asked (around middle school).
    Anonymous

• wow with all the teen drama and sex pressure roaming around today, I would say a good age of "the talk would be after 11. I choose 11 because with all the tv shows, music, and girls strting early I would say talk about it. Nooew this day and age I'm surpise Im not talkin to my six year old now.Plus you got to remeber how teen even adults act in public and how curious they want to explore it. So that's why im think 11 is a good age. In middle school is where the worries of sex really come into play. When they start school I would start on the no no's. the chest and in between ur legg plus the back side is your no no's and if someone touches them tell me even if you think i will get upset. I will say when i was growin up I would see this in 4th grade and up
    Lele1987

Answer by Lele1987 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• 11 is tooooo late.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 7:45 above... We started giving out age-appropriate info from the time our children were babies. Use everyday situations & circumstances as learning opportunities and teach them as they grow. That way there is never a need for "the talk" which just makes everyone embarrassed & awkward. It's our responsibility as parents to teach our children, not the schools or anyone else's. It should be natural & easy to talk to your children & teach them if you haven't done this fro the beginning, you've wasted a lot of good teaching opportunities.

Anonymous

• You don't tell an eight year old about sex. You tell them the differences between boys and girls. When my son starts getting curous about sex than he will be told the proper information for his age.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• We start giving age appropriate info as they ask or as needed. The "talk" is really not a talk per say it is just a continuation of of a discussion. My son who is almost 4 accidently seen me naked(i was getting out of the shower and he come running into the bathroom) and he a course he noticed that there is difference between mommy and him. So he asked why and what is the difference. I explained. We also use correct terms for body parts. We are open with communication in our household and the talk will be not one talk but many ongoing conversations. Nothing is shamed, embarrassing in our household. Our son is free to ask anything and everything!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2010