Rice cereal at 15 weeks?

My son seems to be going through a groweth spurt and is waking up every hour and a half at night. A few people have told me it's a good time to start putting rice cereal in his formula. Has anyone started "solids" this early or have opinions? Thanks for any input!

ristosmommy

Asked by ristosmommy at 7:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO. not a good idea.

tried with the first and had the most misery with constipation, and upset stomach. its just easier to wait until you can introduce fruits and veggies at 5-6 months.
    Anonymous

• it's normal for a baby that young to eat really often. Don't do solids so early, you'll have a baby with a very upset tummy!
    nellyb118

Answer by nellyb118 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I started my baby at around 16 wks on rice cereal for the same reason but it really didnt help at all. She still wanted a bottle every 3 hrs. It hasnt hurt her stomach or anything else either.
    ashleya1616

Answer by ashleya1616 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• from what i've read starting solids before several months old (say 5-7 months) is bad for babies' health. especially at that young age, i would stick with 100% formula or breast milk. cereal might just make baby wake more because young babies can't digest that stuff well and might get upset bellies.
    Anonymous

• it is bad to start that young and also is a choking hazard by putting it in the bottle. i would NOT recommend doing it.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My daughter (14 weeks) has awful reflux and my doctor suggested putting cereal in a bottle when she was about a month old. She didn't really drink any because she doesn't like the bottle. Lately her reflux seemed to be getting worse, so I tried to spoon feed her a little cereal yesterday and let me tell you it was a bad idea. She ate a little but she was up all night with a stomach ache and in so much pain. I felt so horrible. I know every baby is different and some babies can handle cereal early ( I know my mom gave us cereal early), but from horrible night last night I would say wait a few weeks. After last night I think I am going to skip cereal all together and start veggies and fruits at 6 months.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Noooo, my 2nd daughter, exclusively breastfed, didn't get any food til 11 months.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• No. I've heard of that for reflux but I've also heard of people having great success with probiotics for reflux.

I didn't start any solids til 7 months, and started with fresh cooked pumpkin that I made him.

He woke up every hour for a month when he was 2 weeks - 6 weeks - after a few days of that crap I slept with him on the floor in his bedroom (not cause he usually slept in there, but because it had the softest carpet) til it stopped (he started sleeping for 3 hour stretches) and then moved him back to his bassinette beside our bed..

It was a growth spurt / need of his and I just dealt with it rather than trying to "make" him do anything.

Btw he's never been constipated and he's never been sick - 12 months old and still healthy as a horse.. partially I contribute that to delaying solids and feeding only healthy solids - not unhealthy empty caloried constipated things like rice cereal.
    Anonymous