will my son be ready or behind in kindergarden?

he just turned 4 in august and the preschools were full and we are still on a waiting list for this school year which is almost over. so i was just wondering what are the things they should be knowing before they get to kindergarden? cause i dont want him to be behind. he knows his abc's, numbers to 100 but needs to be reminded sometimes what comes after the 9's like after 29, 39, etc., he can write numbers and letters pretty good and his name but doesnt always remember how to spell it, he's known colors and shapes since he was 2-3. he knows the normal preschool songs and about animals and stuff. so what else?

charrenee

Asked by charrenee at 7:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He sounds like is is total ready for Kindergarten. phone number, address is something else they like them to know.
    Anonymous

• sounds to me like he's fine.

they teach all that in kindergarten.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Sounds good. I remember at our schools kindergarten prep thing I had to go to, it was mentioned how many kids that age DON'T know what you are talking about if you ask where their knuckle is. She said most of them with either look at you funny or point to their head (from hearing the phrase "knuckle head")
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I have a degree in Early Childhood Education. Just wanted to let you know that he sounds very smart ;)

Just remember school is not all about learning your letters and numbers...there are a lot of social things he needs to work on too...so maybe join a weekly playgroup or find a church so he can go to Sunday School. Take him to the library for craft day or whatever your local one offers. Look around, get involved...he will learn so much ;)

Preschool is not required although it does give some benefits...but a motivated parent can substitute in activities to take the place of preschool, you just have to be willing to work a little for it ;)

Sounds like he will do fine....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• make sure he can recognize all the numbers in letters...out of order, not just saying them. knowing your home phone, address, and parents names are good. Maybe you can call a daycare center and ask them what kind of stuff they are teaching the kids before kindergarten...just so you can have an idea
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• He sounds ready. One thing - Make sure he can write his name in upper and lower case. That is how they will have to do it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• He is ding just fine! A few other things to work on is: fine motor skills like coloring, writing name and numbers, ect... Make sure he is learning to be inquisitive- puzzles, books, blocks, creating/having fun! If he is not around other kids a lot, make sure you take him to the park or playground to get use to sharing/taking turns, ect... classes or sports for little ones is also a great way to socialize and learn what its like to be in a group. Get him out, make sure he is having fun and learning to love learning and he will be fine. OH and the most important- READ TO HIM!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Just keep working with him do fun stuff . preschool is not required. i think the biggest reason we did preschool was for socialization. My son is not advanced from him and it sounds like your son knows alot just keep working with him and let him practice what he knows!
    Anonymous

• Taking turns, sitting quiet, raising their hand to talk, etc. Those things are important too.

My girls have been in pre-school half the year and I'm taking them out. What they're learning there I can teach them at home. They already have tons of social activities.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 6:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• He knows more then my older 3 kids did going into kindergarten and they all did fine. That was the stuff they learned in school. My son never went to preschool (we couldn't afford it) and started kindergarten being able to write his first name in capital letters only (and it took me all year to teach him that), his colors, counting to 12 and that was about it. He only recognized a few letters (other then the ones in his name) and didn't know the sounds of any of them. He did great in kindergarten. He's in 2nd grade now and getting straight As.
    My oldest daughter did even better. She had 1 year of preschool but still started kindergarten not knowing all her ABCs and could only count to 20. She finished the year reading at a 2nd grade level and got straight As for years (until she stopped caring about school this year...she's in 4th grade).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2010