Gag reflex causing eating problems...?

my daughter (shes 5) can only eat very tiny bites with out throwing up, every time she has ever taken a little bit larger bite, it never fails-- she chucks. And sure that alone would be no problem, but its getting to where it takes her so long to eat and she ends up cutting meals short and not eating good she has been very small her whole life, always in the 25th % growth chart the dr.s use.... any ideas if this is fixable?? I am gonna try to get her a drs apointment soon.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Health

• Ooooo odd! Wonder though, are her tonsils irregularly enlarged??? Or maybe her throat never fully developed? Good luck with that.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My 4 yo struggled to eat for the last year, among other things. I finally put 2 + 2 together and came up with 4. We went to her doctor, then to an ENT, and had her tonsils & adenoids taken out for sleep apnea, and ever since, she eats not only just fine, but she's finally putting on some good weight! If things are that bad, you need to take her in ASAP. I know there are other reasons for that happening, but this was just our personal experience. (I guessed she had sleep apnea because my hubby and both our dads had surgery for it, so I finally realized her other symptoms matched up perfectly - I worried for so long the symptoms were residual from some seizures she had but like I said, 2+2=4).
    Anonymous