How old was your baby when you started him/her on rice cereal?

My daughter is 4 months old and I am thinking about starting to add rice cereal to her bottle. Just wondered how old other babies were??

calichris80

Asked by calichris80 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • i know people that did @like 4 months and even before that... i thought that was too soon.... personally i started round 6 months.. better to ask the doc though
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 8:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• It would be fine.
    Anonymous

• My dr. recommended that we put a little cereal in my daughters bottle when she was just a couple of months old....she had really bad reflux and as soon as we started the cereal and meds she was a different little girl. If you just want to give it to her for no reason i might wait a little while say around 5-6 months....call your dr. and ask.
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 8:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Eh my first I did everything by the BOOKS. Then I had my second and by 5 mths she was eating mashed potatoes and green beans. From my plate lol. Really its up to you and your baby. Rice cereal I think is fine at 4 mths. Breakfasts dinners. Its the very first thing started and well tolerated for many babies.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I guess I should add on MY personal opinion not to add it to the bottle. Unless you will ALWAYS hold baby while doing it. Propping bottle with cereal is just to easy for baby to choke. I say when the baby can push more solids, (like cereal) from the lips to the back of throat and swallow then your good. KWIM??
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• With my first daughter we had to start putting rice cereal in with her bottles when she was only 4 weeks old due to her severe reflux. She is now 4 and just had surgery to stop her refluxing..
    With our 2nd, she too also has severe reflux and has been having rice cereal in her bottles since she was about 2 months old,... She will be 4 months on the 7th and I just started giving it to her by spoon. She does great! I say as long as your baby doesn't have a reaction to it, and can swallow it then your good to go! ALSO don't make it thick.. make it runny for the first few times =) good luck!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• 4-5 mths with all three of my children.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• DO NOT add it to the bottle. If you really want to start it, mix it in a bowl, very thin, and spoon feed it. NEVER put cereal in a baby's bottle unless directed by your baby's doctor for a specific reason like acid reflux!
    Anonymous

• around 4-5weeks old..my dd was on regular table food at 5months..she wouldn't eat the baby food... so i had to chop and puree everything.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• i started rice cereal at around 5months. and then we waited about a week because she didn;t like it and added fruit. every baby is different though. now she is 9months and eats everything. makes a face but she eats everything. but she doesn;t like 3rd foods from jars but she will be fine with regular finger foods. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2010