My son is being deployed Monday the 30th how do I deal with this he is only 18 this is so hard in me letting him go is hard I realy need someone to talk with that understands me please help mom in Marion Nc

Son in Army need support group

Asked by Tammy290 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• Our daughter's godfather is career military and he has been deployed many times. I will try to find a support group for you. Know that we support the military families and keep you in our prayers. We are so proud of you all!

Answer by 1funkymomma at 3:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Little Sis is in the Army, here, she goes on the 8th. She is in her early 20's and has to leave her 7th month old behind with my mom. I may not know what it's like to have a son or daughter going, but I know what's it's like to have a sis going. I'll be saying prayers for you and yours. God Bless

Answer by SAHMinIL at 3:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I was in the Navy and it was really hard for my mom when I was deployed to the Gulf. My husband is still in the Navy and he goes on deployment a lot. If you want someone to talk to you can always message me. :)

Answer by amethystrse at 3:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• wow you poor thiing we will all send prayers try to keep busy sew jog or somthing so you don't spend all day thinking about it

Answer by goatmom4 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

Dec 8, 2005 ... SO YOUR CHILD IS BEING DEPLOYED. .... BE PROUD of your son/daughter. Be VERY proud ‘cause damn they’re good! If they're not telling, ...

Answer by vbruno at 3:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I would have to keep busy to keep my sanity during all this.Like get your friends to help you put together care packages and send them to his whole group.The ones with no family could benefit too.Or join an amvets and be in the ladies auxilary.They would really be able to support you emotionally.I am glad that he is willing to do this for our country.And you should be proud.Praying while he's gone couldn't hurt either.

Answer by evelynwest at 3:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• First of all, make sure he puts you on the list for his FRG... they will send you newsletters & any other vital information. Secondly, PLEASE don't ever put anything specific (like the date he's leaving or where he's going) on the internet or say it over the phone! That's a HUGE military security No-No. Not only could he get in huge trouble, a lot of people could get hurt. Sorry, I didn't mean to make that sound like a lecture... you maybe just didn't know. And thirdly, just keep yourself busy... hopefully he'll be a good boy and call you as often as he can. You can send care packages, write letters & stuff like that. Time will go by pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong, it's not as easy as I just made it sound, but you'll both make it through. Best wishes to your son.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• my son just turned 20 and is leaving for iraq in december, im not sure how to cope with this either, but best of luck to you and your son, and be very proud of his decision to support our country.

Answer by koolmom343 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My son did a tour in Iraq; it was very hard. I worked as a manager in video store-that helped to keep me busy. That is until one day, a young officer came into the store in Army Dress... I nearly passed out before he could even talk to me-not about my son! I had to avoid the news. I also had a friend whose son was also deployed at the time. And I painted a special gift for my son-a large painting of a white dove against a blurred flag! Symbolic of peace! You are right that you need a support group; I did not have one. The only thing that kept me going was the two sons that I still had at home that needed me.

Answer by MizzT at 2:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2008