Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I go about getting financial assistance for daycare, rent, utility bills?

I am a single Mom with an almost year old son. I work full time and my son is in daycare. I haven't applied or even looked into any kind of assistance before now. I was doing ok money wise up until now. Not making a lot of money but I never wanted to get help before because I thought other people needed it more than I do. But last week the gas company came to my house with a letter saying that they were going to shut me off and I don't have the money to pay. In fact I'm REALLY behind on everything. Can anyone give me advice on how to get financial help? Where do I start?

Answer Question

Asked by shanesmom216 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Apply for assistance with Department of Children and Families.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2010


    Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

  • Here in California we have what is called the CARE program that if you qualify gives you 20% off your P G and E bill each month. Call them and ask for an application!

    Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • your local DSS and salvation army...with any child under 5 in the home the salvation army will pay your electric bill in extreme weather conditions!! in my state all you need is a referral from your electric company...other than that your social services will have a list of all types of community aid available to you!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • United Way 211 program

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • Go to your local social services office.....I work for social services and depending on your economic situation you may qualify for day care assistance, welfare, food stamps and more.....just call ahead of time and ask what your state requires you to bring and make an appt....or go very VERY early as a walk in. Good Luck to you!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.