How do I go about getting financial assistance for daycare, rent, utility bills?

I am a single Mom with an almost year old son. I work full time and my son is in daycare. I haven't applied or even looked into any kind of assistance before now. I was doing ok money wise up until now. Not making a lot of money but I never wanted to get help before because I thought other people needed it more than I do. But last week the gas company came to my house with a letter saying that they were going to shut me off and I don't have the money to pay. In fact I'm REALLY behind on everything. Can anyone give me advice on how to get financial help? Where do I start?

shanesmom216

Asked by shanesmom216 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Apply for assistance with Department of Children and Families.
    Anonymous

• http://www.massresources.org/massachusetts_welfare_programs_d.html
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Here in California we have what is called the CARE program that if you qualify gives you 20% off your P G and E bill each month. Call them and ask for an application!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• your local DSS and salvation army...with any child under 5 in the home the salvation army will pay your electric bill in extreme weather conditions!! in my state all you need is a referral from your electric company...other than that your social services will have a list of all types of community aid available to you!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• United Way 211 program
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Go to your local social services office.....I work for social services and depending on your economic situation you may qualify for day care assistance, welfare, food stamps and more.....just call ahead of time and ask what your state requires you to bring and make an appt....or go very VERY early as a walk in. Good Luck to you!
    Anonymous