Is a CZ just as good as a diamond?

Duh, of course not! Im asking this cuz my SIL just got a "promise ring" from her 19 year-old boyfriend (she's 26). I don't have a problem with the age gap, but the ring he got her was gorgeous. The diamond looks just huge with lots of diamonds around it. I happen to know that he cannot afford this type of ring, so my thoughts are it is a CZ. If he could, then he would be paying off the truck he bought from us which he is paying in installments. My DH says what's the difference. It looks the same as a diamond only a lot bigger and prettier than anyone could ever afford. This ring would literally cost thousands upon thousands of dollars if it were real. He also said he would get her an engagement ring by new years which he hasn't cuz guess what he doesnt have the money. I just feel sorry for my SIL, but dont want to tell her that its fake.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• its none of your business so stay out of it. I would never accept anything less then a Diamond too. Mine is not CZ but real diamonds.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 3:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• She'll find out when it turns her finger green.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Oh I think the platinum on it is real btw.
    Anonymous

• my rings have all been cz- I see no point in buying a diamond-waste of money if you ask me!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• * I say ringS because I have had to replace a couple in the last 18 years- but it's no biggie (to me)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• if they love eachother the stone should not matter. my wedding band cost my dh $35 because at the time, we were 19 was all he could afford. 17yrs later, im still wearing it and i love it today as i loved it when i first got it.
    Anonymous

• CZ's are often set in precious metals. Has it occured to you that she knows they are CZ's or otherwise engineered 'diamonds"? I have a gorgeous set of CZ earrings my son saved and bought me for Mothers Day when he was 17. They cost him 85 dollars..which is a lot to spend on your Mom when you're bussing tables while going to school. They are set in gold, I get compliments on them every time I wear them and they are no less precious to me than if they were diamonds. I think you should leave it alone.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I disagree, the stone matters!
    It's an investment and can be used in case of emergencies or can be past down. I wouldn't take less than a diamond when it came time for a wedding. As a girl I think your diamond is your pride. It doesn't have to be large but it should damn well be real and "he' should eventually find the cash to buy it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I disagree, the stone matters!
    ---------------------------

and here i thought that a ring given to your sweetie is a symbol of your love and dedication to that person.
    Anonymous

• Maybe he won it in a card game or bought it at a pawn shop. With a ring like that why would he buy another one? Even if it's fake, if she likes it, so what? I have diamonds and I have CZ. I don't even wear my diamonds anymore. I am more comfortable wearing the CZ. If one gets lost or stolen, I just buy another one. It's the symbol of her ring that matters. If it's as ornate as you say she should be able to tell by the weight (or lack of weight) of the ring.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2010