Can anyone tell me what a spinal block feels like?

I mean the actual procedure. And if you've had both an epidural once and a spinal, which would you recommend getting for a c-section if you could choose? I've had epidurals in the past and now they want me to have a spinal for my cesarean and I'm really iffy about it. What was the spinal like for you? Any post partum side effects from it? How painful was it? Thanks....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I heard they don't do spinal blocks anymore now that they have epidurals. Epidurals are not as invasive but give the same numbing effect. I've had both. I would not have another spinal block. I had headaches and problems with that but never had a problem with an epidural.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I've had both, and I highly recommend the spinal block over the epidural. Epidural took longer to get done, hurt like hell, ruined my experience. Spinal block was quick pain, and lasted long enough for a C-section, tubal ligation, sewing back up, and about an hour after all that.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I had a spinal block for my c-section 6.5 months ago. Same procedure for them as far as I know - they inject into your spine. When they did mine, they had me hunch over while holding onto the nurse, then they did whateve it is they do and then I laid down. The next thing I knew my leg was in the air and I saw it, but could not feel it at all! LOL! It was the craziest thing. It lasted through the section, and stiching up, and then about an hour after. I had total feeling back (to my toes) about 3 hours after the initial poke. I don't think there was any pain with it, except the initial poke - kind of stung a bit as it went it and through the veins. But that was it. I didn't have any after effects that I know of. No headache to speak of. I would do this one again - no question.Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My spinal was much like the 2 previous posters. Hunched my back. . . quick poke. . . numb after about a minute. . . lasted for awhile (seemed like a long time). I did have a lot of nausea and threw up quite a bit after my son was born . . It took a while to find meds that stopped the nausea but after that I was fine. . .no headache. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I have had both. I don't think there was much difference. Recovering was harder for me w/the epi,I had more lower back pain and for longer(but I had an emercency situation w/that pg) That may be why. The numbing hurt like a b-witch pardon my french w/both and I really don't think one was any worse than the other. I just gave the decisions over to my doctors.
    GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2010