Toddlers and hitting?

i have a 15 month old son and he seems to hit a lot...but it's not like out of anger or anything, sometimes he gets excited and sometimes he thinks its just funny...how do i get him to stop? he hits me, his grandparents,my little sister,everyone except other little kids....i've tried saying no to him calmly,and ive put him in the corner b4 but it does work!

JulesMommy1008

Asked by JulesMommy1008 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine bites me and then laughs. I try not to react at all and just put him in his "thinking chair". He seems to get off on the reaction even if its angry.
    wendwhee

Answer by wendwhee at 9:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My 13mth DD use to hit all of the time. I know she didn't mean too. Alot of babies don't realize how hard they are hitting. We use to just act like we were crying when she hit us, saying "OOOWWWEE!!!" just loud enough to kinda startle her, and then she would immediately lay her head on our chest and say "Aww wee" while rubbing our face, LOL! It was so cute! She stopped hitting us shortly after. Now she only occasionally does it when she gets too excited, and we don't even have to give a reaction anymore, she knows when she's hit, and she instantly begins to show us that she is sorry, but gently rubbing our face and giving kisses. Kids learn quick, but I think you just have to kinda find what works for you and your little one. Good luck.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 9:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• ugh, my daughter hits a lot...She used to do it out of excitement or bc she thought the reaction was funny or something...Now she hits when she's mad, frustrated, doesn't want to share, the list goes on and on...We've tried time outs that sorta works, but what seems to work best is fake crying, like the PP said. I'll say "OUCH!! That HURTS!" and then fake cry, sometimes she cries too, but she says "Sorry, hug" then gives a hug, then "kiss" and gives a kiss...I don't really know how to get her to STOP hitting though...We'll be at the dr this week or next for her 2 year appt, I'll let you know what he says!
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 11:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I wish I had an answer!! I have a 16 month old who does the same. Except he has discovered that he can hit when he is frustrated too. Or angry! He will just walk up to his 7 year old sister and wack her one. But she freaks out and gets all mad, so I think he thinks it is funny. I wish I knew what to do to make him stop!! This is only one of the many frustrating things with toddlers, I think!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:13 AM on Jan. 4, 2010