When did you stop swaddling?

I have a 6 week old and I am curious if I should still be swaddling him. What age do most babies not need swaddling? Does it help with getting them to sleep in their own bed at night?

kristinmj

Asked by kristinmj at 9:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I kept swaddling my little ones until they were big enough to get out of the swaddle. They really liked it, and they slept in the same crib so it kept them from attacking each other lol. My DD started getting out of her swaddle and her little roll pads and by that time we had a second crib. There isn't anything wrong with swaddling them if they like it, keep doing it!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• We kept our kids swaddled for a long time, they like the security. You will know when it's time to stop.
    Anonymous

• he's wiggling around like a worm in it lol, it is too funny, but he's not crying about it, seems like he thinks it's a game
    kristinmj

Answer by kristinmj at 10:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My DS is 6.5 months. He's still swaddled. We use the Swaddle Me blanket or the Halo Swaddle Sleep Sack. I like the Swaddle Me blanket best! I'll stop when he won't tolerate it anymore. His pedi said it was fine as long as he didn't mind and also as long as he has room to kick his legs.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My daughter is 4 months and I still swaddle her. From the armpits down, though. She likes her hands up around her head and has from day 1. It's so cute. :)
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I stopped swaddling my son probably around 1 or 1 1/2 months old. At some point it just didn't seem to do anything for him anymore and we could tell he was trying to get his arms out more than he wanted to keep them in the swaddle. He did fine once he stopped. I think you should stop when it seems that your baby is fine without being swaddled. At some point he'll probably want to be able to be mobile than tight in in a swaddle.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2010