How would you expect me to react if my child hit yours?

Recently my son started going through the "hitting phase." I have never delt with this before and when he is around other children I do watch him to try and make sure it doesn't happen but what am I supposed to do if it does? I was at the park today with my son and he hit this sweet little girl because he wanted her paci. I apologized to the Mom and tried to make sure the little girl was ok but the Mom left in a huff. What else should I have done?

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 9:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 19 months there's not much more you could have done. He's not even 2 yet so leaving the park or making him sit on the bench for a while would not have been understood by him. Maybe she was just the type of lady that has her panties in a wad. Kids will be kids and toddlers will be toddlers, you did all you should've done for his age.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• well if my daughter were to hit someone, i would punish her (time-out works wonders for my child), and then i would make her say sorry to the other child. all the while, i would be explaining that hitting is very wrong, and i would also apologise to the mom. remember, shes a mother too, and she should understand.
    Anonymous

• How old is your son? I assume he is a toddler. If that is true then you did what you needed to.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 9:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My son is 19 months. When it happened I did give him one pop on the butt because I absolutely do not want him to think that hitting is ok.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You did all you could do. I'm sure you reprimanded your son. The other mom will just have to get over it. Her child will go through it too, she will understand it then. This is one of the ways a child learns self control.
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt be upset with you, some kids do that, you didnt tell him to do it. i would be a bit upset if you didnt at least correct him, but other than that i wouldnt get all huffy.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• The couple of times my son has done anything like that I have gotten down to his level and said "no sir, we don't hit people, it hurts and you cannot do it" and made sure that he looked me back in the eyes also. Then I would make sure the little girl was ok, then apologize to the parent...most parents will just shrug it off....oversensitive mother i guess
    Huntersmom819

Answer by Huntersmom819 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't be very impressed if someone else's son hit my sweet little DD. Sorry ladies but that's just the truth. You can apologize all you want but if he hurt my DD and made her cry you bet I'd be pissed. Call me oversensitive or whatever but come on..nobody likes to see their child hurt. I'd be sure to keep my DD away from your son that's for sure lol. It's just life ladies. And I'd be sure to teach my DD that if he ever hit her again she had my permission to sock him one right in the nose!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• many kids go through this stage and the only real time I get upset is if the mom acts like its no big deal or makes no effort to make it right. chances are thats her only kid and they may not ever hit so she thinks your son is just mean! I know he is not its just a stage that many go through just be consistant in teaching him this is wrong and not how we act. I agree at this age leaving is not toally understood so I would tell him we are nice we do not hit.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion, popping him is teaching that hitting is ok. Like I said, thats just my opinion. I would be upset if another child hit my little girl and I would expect that parent to tell their child that hitting is not ok, and that saying sorry is what they need to do, but I wouldn't leave in a huff, and I wouldn't show that I was upset. Like any parent, I hurt when my daughter hurts. Its only natural, but I do understand that kids will be kids. ;)
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2010