fever for 4 days

my 33 mth old has been running a fever for 4 days now. on and off. i been given her motrin every 4 hrs during the day. it goes from 102-105. i did take her to the er and the damm doctor was like there is nothing wrong with her. he told me that she has a fever for no reason. this was on friday. she had been with the fever for 24 hrs by that time. is now sunday and she has ran temp of 104 on and off. she isnt eating well and today she had loose stools. i dont know what else is wrong am on vacation so am taking her to a pediatrician in fl we live in sc

piwife

Asked by piwife at 9:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She may have the flu. :( I'm sorry. That happened to us on vacation too.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 10:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• but has no other symptoms just a fever and today she had the stool dh said it looked like puddin. she hasnt been couching or nothing like that
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• You are giving the motrin entirely too often. Every 8 hours is the closest. Too much motrin could very likely be causing the diarrhea. Tylenol would be a better choice, but you can also piggy-back - give one every 4 hours - the motrin would be 8 hours apart, and the tylenol would be 8 hours apart. But it's a good think you're taking her in, 4 days can be a long time for an undiagnosed fever.
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine has a son that had stuff going on like that..... fevers with no apparent cause. Turns out he had some kind of infection that got into his blood stream or something. It was a pretty bad deal all the way around. As high as her fever is getting and since it is not going away you may have to cut your vacation short and get her home to see her doctor.
    Anonymous

• I would find a regular Dr not the ER and see what they say. I would try rotaing Motrin and tylonal. One every 4 hours(that makes it 8 hour between each dose) Hope she feels better
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• try stopping the motrin altogether. the fever may be trying to kill a virus (infection) stopping the fever allows the virus to thrive. watch the fever closely, and be sure your thermometer is correct. are you taking the temp orally, armpit, anal? are you making the necessary adjustments for the way you are taking the temp? I only ask this b/c 105 is pretty high. You may want to try cold compresses with a fever of 105. try to see if she can ride the fever out without using fever reducers.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• haooymom2be i been taking it in the armpit then adding what i need to add. i do giver cool baths and everything. my daughter had had febreral seizures in the pass so i have to give her medecine. my sister is a nurse and my dd gets sick often so i know how to use a thermometer. i also due cold cmpresses in her forehead and back of her neck and that helps alot.

as for the motrin every hrs thats what the doc said to do. tylenol doesnt work on my dd at all. i just call tricare and put in a referal so hopefully i see the pedi today. ill keep u guys updated
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2010