How can I rid of this diaper rash? Or is it even that?

I'm sorry I am unable to produce pictures of this, but my daughter, almost two, has some horrible diaper rash. At least that's what I think it is. She has been diagnosed with a form of ezcema, so I'm wondering if that's what it is as well. See the thing of it is, I use creams, no luck, powder, no luck, air, no luck. And when I use diaper rash remedies, it seems to get worse. I'm not sure what I should try next. Her two year check up is in three weeks, so I'm going to ask about it then, but I'm still trying to figure out a way to rid of it now. Any suggestions would be great, ladies, thanks!

Yuriko_chan

Asked by Yuriko_chan at 10:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may be fungal..kind of like athlete's foot. Both my boys had this type of diaper rash. Get a tube of the stuff used to treat athlete's foot and use it every time you change until it goes away.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Sometimes even infant girls get yeast infections. If it's not going away, try using an over the counter yeast cream. Your pharmacist should be able to direct you something safe for a small child and to give advice on the correct dosage. If you want to test it out first, just put some on the exterior portion and see if it gets any better over a day or two. If it does, use it at bedtime according to your pharmacist's instructions. Otherwise, I'd try treating it with whatever you use in treating her eczema.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I agree...it's probably a yeast infection...I also have used the antifungal cream you use for athletes foot...it helps, but you should call your doctor...don't wait the three weeks....she's probably in a little pain. Call your doctor...if it's a yeast infection they will prescribe her nystatin. It will clear up in no time if that's the case. Good luck.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• OATMEAL, IT CALMS THE REDNESS CAN USE IN BATH OR AS TOPICAL, I WOULD CALL THE DOCTOR THOUGH WOULDN'T WAIT 3 WEEKS IN CASE SHE IS ALERGIC TO SOMETHING GOOD LUCK
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• With little girls it can be fungal. Does it smell bad? She might need a good antibiotic cream to heal it up.

Bathe often and let her air out if possible.
    Use plain corn starch on the area before diaper goes back on
    Good luck!
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• ya it might be be a yeast infection my sister's son had a rash when he was like 8 months old that wouldn't go away she would get creams that didn't work, powder that didn't work she tried everything she took him to the doctors and ended up with jockitch it is just like a yeast infection except on guys it is called jockitch so it could be a yeast infection I would call the doctor they told my sister that it was nothing to worry about some babies get it cause there is no air able to get through they told my sister to change his diaper more often and to allow some naked time without no diaper
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Try giving her a baking soda bath. Take and put a good amount of baking soda in her bath water, let her soak, and after she gets out let her air out for a bit. Then when you rediaper use the cornstarch baby powder. My oldest daughter used to get horrible rashes that were almost impossible to get rid of. She had high PH in her urine that caused it to irritate her skin really badly. They said over and over it was a yeast infection because it showed all the signs however all the stuff they gave us made it worse. The only thing that helped was doing baking soda baths. Call the doctor to be safe. If she does have a yeast infection it can cause damage if not treated fast enough. Good luck I hope she gets better.
    phoeber

Answer by phoeber at 8:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2010