What is a safe diet?

I just found out I'm pregnant and I'm a bit overweight. (I swear I'm not like 130 pounds thinking I'm fat, I seriously am overweight) I want to lose some weight not only for me but I think it'll be better for the baby. What is something I can do to lose weight while I'm pregnant that is safe for baby?

victoriaherring

Asked by victoriaherring at 10:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Some women that are over weight actually lose it themselves without doing anything. Since your preggers you will be eating healthier to begin with so that is a start. You can walk its good for your baby and good for you too. Im sure your doctor will have more things.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Eat healthy food and exercise but don't try dieting now without permission of your doctor.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Do not attempt to lose weight on purpose while pregnant. Eat healthy foods, allow yourself treats in moderation so you don't binge on them later (if you crave ice cream, eat it - but just a few bites, if you deny yourself you risk eating a huge bowlful later on!). Cut out as much processed sugar as you can. Stop drinking any & all sodas if you do. Drink extra water. If you don't already excercise, don't start, beyond basic walks around the block/town. Cut out as much salt as you can from your diet. Make simple changes like sweet potatoes instead of regular, brown rice instead of white, ground turkey instead of ground beef, things like that. If you're worried about it, your doctor can refer you to a dietician who will be a huge help with what's best to eat while pregnant to keep from gaining weight while still being healthy for your baby.
    Anonymous