random question about multiples

has anyone ever heard of anyone having multiples (like triplets and above) without having the fertility treatments and all? My husband and I have twins on both side of our families so we figured we might have a chance for twins. Today my MIL said she had a dream that I had FOUR!!! I highly doubt that something like that could actually happen but just wondering if it was possible without all that fertility treatment?

victoriaherring

Asked by victoriaherring at 10:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I know of 2 totally unrelated couples who both had triplets without any aid. One husband's family had a history of multiples, they had a singleton then the triples about 2 years later, and the other couple had triplets the first time around, totally out of the blue, no history of multiples in either side of their families. It was just God's will for both of them, lol!
    Anonymous

• I know a woman who had triplet w/out any aid
    Anonymous

• I think anyone having triplets without fertility drugs is extremely unlikely. Possible, but very rare. I think women who have multiples with fertility drugs are crazy and wrong. Women's bodies just weren't made to hold that many babies. And I don't like people who have so many damn kids that they can't pay attention to them at all. Just my opinion.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• there was a woman on tv the other day that had four identicle girls without fertility aids. there are only 40 or so recorded situations of this happening. the most identicles recorded is five that was in the 30's in canada. they were famous.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i know 3 woman who have natural triplets, all of them UNEXPECTED PREGNANCIES! can you imagine?

the chances of having natural triplets is 1 in 10,000. f course genetics can raise your chances.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 1:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I have spontaenous identical triplets (meaning naturally concieved). I am on Tripletconnection and we have a TON of triplets on there that are spontaenous, so we as a group think the numbers are a little off that are always reported. I know three sets of spontaneously concieved quads.

Some more accurate facts seem to be
    Spontaneous Triplets
    White Americans: 1 in 8100 chance
    Black Americans: 1 in 9800 chance

For Quads
    474 sets of quadruplets have been born without fertility methods (out of the 3112 sets of quadruplets counted Jan 06). 15.23% of all quads are spontaneous.

And just for note:
    The most babies EVER concieved without fertility medication is 12...
    1992 - Sciortino de Allavatti (Argentina, May 1992) Mother was 24 when she lost 12 fetuses that were conceived spontaneously This is the highest number of multiples conceived spontaneously.

From facts about multiples
    gkm15099

Answer by gkm15099 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• angevil53---actually there are 7 and possibly 8 sets of identical quints that has been concieved.
    gkm15099

Answer by gkm15099 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2010