Diaper rash?

Does a red private area mean its a diaper rash? Should I use diaper cream or powder?

Jessycwr

Asked by Jessycwr at 10:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't necessarily mean diaper rash. It could be irritation, is baby touching themselves, etc? I would see if it goes away or progresses before adding anything.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Never use powder.

I consider red irritation a warning sign. That means AIR time...naked butt.
    I also apply pure aloe...it is soothing. And a virgin oil such as coconut, or olive oil (cheaper and has no additives to contribute to the irritation).

When I do this the redness goes away very quickly.

Be sure you fan the baby bits dry before applying a fresh diaper. It helps. And don't use wipes...they can cause serious irritation. Use some cloth wipes (cheap baby washcloths are fine) and wipe with PLAIN water. Also check the diapers you use if you aren't using cloth diapers. Disposables tend to encourage rahses because of the chemicals in them, but especially the ones that are scented can cause rashes. At the very least check for that.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Use some diaper cream...desitin, butt paste, balmex, whatever. If it goes away, then yes, it was diaper rash. If baby is getting a lot of diaper rash, consider changing diapers and/or wipes. I like Costco's generic brand (Kirkland Brand) for both...they're both unscented and very mild. Food can also cause diaper rash...avoid acidic foods like tomatoes, citrus, strawberry, etc. Make sure you change babies diaper frequently...especially following a BM. Air time is good too but can be dangerous. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Don't ever use powder because if there is bacteria or yeast present they will feed off of the powder. With my DD we use hydrocortizone cream and it has never failed us and she has had some really bad rashes it gets rid of them all. Good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 11:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Just wanted to say powder is very bad for babies lungs and asthmatics.
    And I agree with this poster ;-)

Never use powder.

Be sure you fan the baby bits dry before applying a fresh diaper. It helps. And don't use wipes...they can cause serious irritation. Use some cloth wipes (cheap baby washcloths are fine) and wipe with PLAIN water. Also check the diapers you use if you aren't using cloth diapers. Disposables tend to encourage rahses because of the chemicals in them, but especially the ones that are scented can cause rashes. At the very least check for
    Lullababy

Answer by Lullababy at 1:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Also you can adhere on tab of the diaper and cover the front and fold the back part to expose the bum and lie the baby on his/ her tummy so it can air dry. Calendula gel is very calming and healing also. GL
    Lullababy

Answer by Lullababy at 1:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Thanks mommas! I tried some cream and it was back to normal this morning!
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 7:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2010