How can you tell when a baby "drops" ?

Everyone keeps telling me my baby hasn't "dropped" yet.. i don't even know what this means.. so how can i tell when it happens? i am 37 weeks pregnant.

KKline

Asked by KKline at 10:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It means that the baby drops down lower into your pelvic region in preparation for birth. Some babies will drop weeks before birth, others will drop hours before. If this is your first pregnancy, you can expect the baby to drop any time now. You can usually tell because your stomach appears lower, when you sit down, your stomach will rest against your thighs, large meals will be easier to eat, you'll be able to breath easier, your heartburn might get better and you may feel increased pressure against the bottom of your pelvis.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• yes, my first pregnancy. thank you very much for clarifying! i thought i was an idiot lol. i hope she drops soon then because the heartburn is AWFUL at night... wakes me up at 3am and nothing aside from vomiting makes it go away. well thank you again!
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 11:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• For me, it wasn't so much a visually lower belly as it was the increased pelvic pressure. I think it was around the 8th month i started feeling like my son was pushing down hard on my pelvis and like practically falling out lol. But I did have a really tall boy too. I never felt like I was breathing easier or able to eat more (until I gave birth.) If your baby never drops it's not really a big deal at all. I don't even think it's actually a medical thing.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2010