Good workout?

What's a good workout for pregnancy? I'm a healthy 25 year old woman and I just found out that I'm pregnant- just 4 weeks along. I have never been restricted any physical activity before. With my first child, I just walked 3-5 miles per day to stay healthy. But that was during warm weather. I just became a member of a gym, so I have other option for the rest of the winter and into spring. I was going to have two days of weights in there, but I guess that is out of the question.

So what are some good routines? I want to maintain a healthy weight for this pregnancy and also stay in relatively decent shape. One thing, though, is that treadmills scare the crap out of me, so that's out of the question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Talk to your doc/ob. Most say that if you don't have an exercise routine in place before becoming pregnant, not to start one til after you're postpartum checkup & clearance from the doc.
    Anonymous

• Try yoga
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• stick to light cardio and if your doc says it's ok to do the weights they will give you a lifting limit. the important thing to remember is to not overdo it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• you should be able to do some weights if you want. but talk to your doc. most women can use about 20lbs to make the workout better. just be careful with your back.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I'm almost 11 weeks pregnant, and have been going to a prenatal yoga class 2 days a week...and also walking 30-40 minutes 3 days a week (more if I can find the time). I definitely recommend prenatal yoga, it has helped me stay energized and I anticipate it being helpful as my pregnancy progresses. If you aren't a fan of treadmills, I'd suggest you try an elliptical...
    thea11ens

Answer by thea11ens at 8:25 AM on Jan. 4, 2010