i just watched a movie that was about race...why do people hate others based on color of skin?

1st of all, its not like we can choose what race we are born into... so prejudices based on race seems absurd to me. i find that there are good and bad in all races and some people don't fit the stereotypes that the media portrays about some races. i was interested in knowing different points of view. why hate another race just because of their race?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• They are ignorant.
    Anonymous

• we are like 99.9 percent the same; it's just our skin color that's different. It's so ignorant and one day it'll bite people in the butt.
    Anonymous

• I hate to say it but its not about color its about culture....some people do not like some cultures. I know plenty of cultures that do not like "white culture".
    Anonymous

• Fear perhaps? One of my friends mother (and family) was racist...it actually had the opposite affect on her. Made her, in turn resent and not like whites! At all. Not for friends or boyfriends...after she had her first son, who is biracial (black father), her mother was ashamed, but after a while it kind of forced her to accept other people because she loves her grandson. She is a lot nicer to people, too.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I can not really answer why people hate others because of their race. I ask that same question, myself.
    I do however think it takes a good person with a kind heart to love others beyond the color of their skin. For myself, I do not let skin tone stop me from liking someone, or helping them when in need. Is it difficult to be this way, No. Because it doesnlt bother me not one bit, it makes my life easier really. Less hate and more love than others. Now I do have a hard time with others who look at others who are a different race and hate them because of it. That hurts me more than anything. Like you said, we are born this way, nothing we can do about that.
    Though my skin is white, I am a woman of many colors.
    4thLuvofChildrn

Answer by 4thLuvofChildrn at 11:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• It's dumb. I think people should be disliked for who they are and not "what" they are. You have no choice when it comes to ethnicity and pigmentation.
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• because when something or someone is different from one's self, there is insecurity and fear of the unknown. some people defend that by putting up walls, and attempting to downplay another's importance or even equality in order to make themselves feel better, or superior.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I also think that some people use their families as an excuse "Well I was raised this way" or "my parents taught me this..". I think once you become an adult, you are accountable for what is right and wrong and what you believe in. no longer should "Mommy said.." be an excuse to hate.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Its a race thing not a culture thing. Not many people know anything about the other cultures to hate them. They do not get passed the skin color to know about cultures. As far as white cultures, what is that? What is white culture?
    4thLuvofChildrn

Answer by 4thLuvofChildrn at 11:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• What movie did you watch? You should watch the one with Edward Norton, Amercian History X. There are bad people in all races, now im not to fond of a few races, but also whites. Im white.
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2010