Constipation - 6 week old

My son only poos once every 3-4 days and is very upset about it for hours before he finally poos. He also can't seem to do it on his own...I have to help by pushing his knees up towards his chest. Any ideas on what can help? He's breastfed (occasional bottle of formula). I've been taking fiber supplements hoping it will be passed along in the breastmilk. Anything else I can do or give baby?

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When he does poop, what is it like? Runny/mushy/soft, or hard/dry/pellet like? It's SAFE and NORMAL for an EBF baby to go up to 10ish days without a bowel movement, as long is it's not hard/dry/pellet like. I'd do nothing at this point if the stool isn't hard or dry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Call your doctor, that does not sound normal. When my little one got constipated at a little less than three months the pediatrician told me to give him 4 oz if prune juice. It only took about two bottles of prune juie spaced out over a day for it to take effect.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• get some mylicon gas drops and give him a dose like 3 times a day. Also as my doctor recommended at that age you can insert a thermometer rectally to get it started. Although it doesn't always work. My daughter was so backed up at an early age that on a few occasions i had to give her a suppository. If his bowel movements don't get better talk to your pediatrcian.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Definitely talk to the baby's doctor but when my DS was wee he had a lot of problems with constipation and I gave him a little bit of prune juice in his bottle once a day and that took care of it. See what the dr says before you give him anything though to make sure it's not something more involved than just a need for fibre.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Is the poop soft? If it's soft, it's not constipation. Breastfed babies can go days between bowel movements and sometimes they may be a little uncomfortable while going. That would all be normal.

Some things you can try, though: First: cut out the formula. Formula will constipate quicker than anything.
    Second: Try some pro-biotics. They aid in digestive function. Either get an infant pro-biotic, or just give a fingertips worth of an allergen-free adult version.
    Lastly... if you still really feel like something is wrong, or if baby's poop is hard even after cutting the formula, you might try cutting dairy from your own diet. Fiber won't pass through your milk. Milk doesn't even contain fiber, to my knowledge... because they don't need it... but dairy proteins can pass through and can cause digestive problems.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Mine was the same way My SIL gave him sugar water...it helped him along gently.
    Anonymous

• No, its not hard or pellet like. It is definitely not as soft/runny or as yellow as my daughter's was at his age but it isn't hard at all and is more of a brownish color. Thanks for the advice. I'll mention it to the doctor at his two month visit if it hasn't cleared up yet. Thanks.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2010