i have 2 yr old. he can do alot of stuff but he just cant really talk yet. should i be worried or it happens?

Chris85

Asked by Chris85 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry they don't pick up great verbal skill usually until they are 3. Just make sure you make games out of saying words, and reading out loud help too. Good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 11:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Nope. Granddaughter will be two next week. She rambles, but you can't really understand much she says, and she just started doing this the past two weeks.
    Anonymous

• you are not alone. My daughter will be 2 on the 5th. She has been saying "ball" for quite some time and that is it. Recently she started saying "ma" and "da", but mostly only when provoked to do so. She is one smart cookie though, I know she knows what we are saying and asking her to do because she reacts...so i say, give it some more time, those words and language are coming soon. You are doing nothing wrong.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Yeah its totally normal. My son is going to be 3 in May and just up until a few mths ago he started saying ALL kinds of new words. I'm actually pretty amazed by it. One day he was kinda rambeling and getting mad bc sometimes i couldn't understand what he was saying. And then the next he was talking so much better and saying words i didn't even think he could say. One of his newest sayings is " Cows Make Milk " lol its adorable. One day you'll wake up and he'll be saying all kinds of stuff.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 11:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I'd not worry I got good advice when I asked the same Q about My 2 year old seems to be one of those slow talkers too but like they said making it fun to talk helps, I quit worrying about milestones ages ago.and quit worrying about what other pple say.
    leicthweis8003

Answer by leicthweis8003 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My son is 2, same thing, he's now in speech therapy. I would have him evaluated by early intervention. Doesnt hurt and doesnt cost anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Boys are later with talking my son didn't start talking till after two as well, it was tough for me, I had my in-laws telling me it's because I'm a horrible mother...nice huh? but don't fret, it will happen and once it does your next question will be how do you get him to stop talking for 5min....lol:)
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 1:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i taught my son sign language before he could talk. just things like eat, drink, thank you, you're welcome so he could "talk" to others. he started doing it at his babysitter's house so i had to teach her the signs he uses. now he talks full sentences and it's no trouble at all. it might help him though.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Boys talk much later than girls. Girls seem to work on their verbal skills first, and boys work on the physical skills first.. hehe.

Like angevil- I taught my oldest son ASL so he can tell me what he needs. I'm working on it with Elijah now (11 months).
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I would have him evaluated by early intervention - so it turns out he starts talking on his own in a few months, the extra speech therapy he may get isn't going to hurt him!

Answer by missanc at 8:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2010