Is it ok to burn other peoples' sacred books?

I am Christian and I seriously would feel offended if someone told me they were burning Bibles. The first thoughts in my head would be "have some respect!" However I was in a group I belong to and someone mentioned that they take pamphlets and other religious materials people hand out, and burn them. Evidently they do this and think "one less person poisoned by lies." I am rather disgusted by this, and am wondering if this is the norm or what?

Do you feel it is ok to do something like that, or do you feel it is disrespectful? Would you burn material on a different religion/belief system, that you do not belong too for example, the Torah, The Bible, The Qur'an, Gnostic texts, Book of Mormon, Talmud? And how would you feel if someone took texts that are sacred to you and burned them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. Each to their own. If you dont want a pamphlet then dont take one. My friend kelly was put in a Presbyterian home and they found his copy of the Satans bible and they burned it. Ridiculous if you ask me.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• While I am not Christian per say (I haven't found my true calling yet but do believe in a high power and have been put off by lies and fakes with in churches I have been too), and neither is my DH. I would never do that, but my husband does. He is a very angry person at religion and God. I find it childish. But some ppl there is no talking to about such things. I feel to each their own. And if someone tries to preach to me I say No thank you and walk away or shut the door.

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I'm Catholic. I would be very upset about The Bible being burned.

In the past, I have thrown away pamphlets that JW's passed out.
    Anonymous

• I throw them away, but I don't burn them.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• The first thing that comes into my mind seeing this post is "do unto others as you would have others do unto you." I would never purposely destroy something others consider sacred to them like that. I don't see how a person could do something like that, and then expect other people to respect THEIR beliefs, KWIM?

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• No, there is a holiness to faith regardless of their religion.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• In the Eastern Christian tradition burning is one of the only ways to get ride of sacred things. Blessed books or items (like crosses or icons) should never just be thrown in the trash! We believe the Bible IS the Word of God. By burning it you are returning it to ash and to nature. I would much rather have them burn my Bible than spit on it and throw it in the garbage pile.
    If someone is burning a sacred book because of anger or bitterness at least it's going back to God and not rotting with dirty diapers in a landfill.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Pamphlets are one thing but I would not burn someone elses religious text out of respect, do on to others....
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:58 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My mother burned the satanic bible once too. No I wouldn't burn it. The pamphlets people hand out end up in the trash. I normally try not to take them but people are pushy! Or they leave them in my door.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• A pamphlet is not a sacred text!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2010