Is it possible for my 2 year old to have ADHD?

Does anyone know if it is hereditary? My husband has it. And I think my daughter may have it. I have never seen a child with as much energy as mine. It's almost 9 at night and she is bouncing all over the place(lieratally). She is constantly hyper. And I don't give her sugar. Any ideas?

jahair89

Asked by jahair89 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's hard to say sometimes, I ask the same could be terrible twos but ..here a website might help..
    www.healthcentral.com/adhd/raising-child-with-adhd-278673-5.html
    Anonymous

• Let me know what you think...
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the sight. I believe I may ask her doctor about it...because it sure seems like it.
    jahair89

Answer by jahair89 at 12:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• NO!!!! She's a baby. They're hyper. Do not take her to the doctor. Do you want to her to be on medication for the rest of her life? That's what will happen.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Sarh, some children need the medication to function properly. I agree that age two is not a good age to give them medication, I would change their diet and give clear stucture in their life, this will help at that age. My own nephew is more then likely ADHD, he is almost 3. BUT his parents let him run wild at home, there is NO structure. Having a teen with ADHD and having it myself, I am sure my nephew also has it. But his parents are to lazy to deal with it quite frankly, kids with this require much more stucture then kids that don't have this. But my teen son IS on medication for it, he has been on it for a year now. He NEEDED it to help controll impulses and stay focused in school, which the meds have helped 100 percent.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I just know there's better ways to control it. I'm against meds like that in general. They alter the brain and it's hard to ever get off of them. I've actually heard of a diet that works with ADD/ADHD. Kinda like the diet for epilepsy.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I never said I am going to put my daughter on medication. I think there is a chance that my daughter may have it, and I am going to DISCUSS it with her doctor. I don't want her to go on meds. If she does have it, I'm going to see about other ways to treat it other than meds.
    jahair89

Answer by jahair89 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I heard from a natural doctor that cutting out a majority of sugars (check the sugar content in everything!), and giving your child vitamin b is a natural way to relax a child. If you brought your 2yr old to the doctors they would not diagnose yet too young one of the things doctors use to determine ad/hd is if the child acts with the wild and unruly behaviors in multiple enviornments, one of those being home, but the other they perfer to use is a school enviornment and they like to get the child's teacher's point of view as well. good luck!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 1:13 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• there r so many bks out there on treating ADHD w/ special diets. Just google, or stop at a bk store. At age 2 it's normal to bounce off the walls
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• 2 years old is too young to diagnose ADHD

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2010