How do I stop prolonged diarrhea?

My son has had diarrhea for the last week and a half. He was sick and vomiting a week and a half ago. The doctor said this could be lingering after effects from that virus and could go on for two weeks.

We are tired of the liquid mess and feel bad that we have had to put a potty trained child back into diapers because of a medical condition. We have tried BRAT, all the milk and cheese he wants, lots of yogurt, and Florajen/acidophilus. Still he is "sick" once to twice daily. He is eating and drinking fine though so we're not too worried about dehydration.

lt1jane

Asked by lt1jane at 12:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Health

• gosh, I'm sorry. He really should be done soon though. is there kid immodium? Not that you want to use it or kid pepto to improve it a little? Problem with diarrhea is that it needs to run its course. ugh...what does the doc say?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:04 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• What about bananas? Keep him hydrated though.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:09 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Was he tested for a virus, or did the doctor just blow it off? It sounds like rotovirus, which needs to run its course, which can be up to 3 weeks. My dd had it and was pretty much over it in a week, but 4 days of that she was in the picu. I suggest probiotics - not the yogurt & stuff that suposedly have some in, but actual powder-filled gelcaps that need to be refrigerated - the powder can be mixed into a bit of soft food but needs to be eaten immediately. It helps slow up diarrhea and also helps loosen up hard poo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Have you tried cutting the dairy out?? It could still irratate his belly. I would make sure he is eating bananas, toast, pasta that type stuff..
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:31 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• in answer to the doctor question, I was told not to worry until he hits at least 2 weeks.

I have been pushing yogurt because he loves it, particularily GoGurt which he calls "fun yogurt" He'd eat it all day if I let him.

I HAVE been giving him probiotics. That's what Florjen is, specifically Florajen 4 Kids. I called it Florajen/acidophilus because I live in Wisconsin and know the company that makes Florajen is Wisconsin based, but I don't know how large it is. Florajen is as good as Lactinex or Culturelle, but a whole lot cheaper.

I will try to add more bananas though, I have been trying to push the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) as much as possible
    lt1jane

Answer by lt1jane at 12:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2010