3 year olds and colors

Hi, my twin boys are 3 and I have the hardest time getting them to know their colors. They know the names of all the colors, but they can't recognize a color of something. I will ask them waht color it is and htey always give the wrong answer. Is this normal? Shouldn't a 3 year old (almost 3 and a half) be able to tell colors?

threeeunder3

Asked by threeeunder3 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My nephew is the same age and is the same way as your boys. My son was the opposite he was about a year and a half and was knew his colors and his ABC's. BUT all kids are different, they all develop at different paces. At 4 they will go to pre school and if they don't know these things they will learn them.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I am totally with you on this one! My daughter is almost four (with some developmental delays) and she just is NOT getting her colors. She knows yellow consistently and the others occasionally. It makes me crazy. She can count to twelve with one to one correspondence, she can spell half her name (we're working on the beginning), she can match anything, but she cannot identify colors. Her preschool teacher said don't worry about it, some kids are just slower with some things and faster with others. Good luck. We just try to identify the colors of EVERYTHING throughout the day.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• my son is healthy and can only get certain colors and shapes. it's weird. i know his favorite color is orange though bc he KNOWS that color and will pick out all orange shirts to wear. he knows what a star is and triangle. i think they get this stuff on their own time though.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My son didn't figure out his colors until after he turned 4. I knew he saw colors because he could separate his cars into piles by color but he just couldn't remember the names. He eventually figured it out. There is no rule that says they have to know it when they are 3.
    My youngest daughter only figured it out after starting preschool. She'll be 4 in April and still mixes them up sometimes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Yes! Both line up their cars and they are lined up in colors, soI forgot to mention that. Thanks guys; I feel better now. I want them to be fully prepared toenter preschool and kindergarten. They know how to count and their ABC's but I'm trying to take the lead in them learning right now.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• every child is different. my dd is almost 3 and she can recognized about 9 colors. she sometimes mixes green and red
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:09 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• mine all did that.

youngest still mixes the names up....but she does it with a smirk these days. course you ask her where the PINK is and she can pick that out instantly.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2010