Do you have to go to church?

My husband & myself just started going to church a few months ago & I can't seem to find a church I'm really happy about. On top of that my husband started driving over the road & I have 3 small boys & it's really hard to go anywhere w/ them by myself. I've kind of lost my motivation for going, but not for studying the bible at home & practicing at home. I've tried non-denominational, baptist & methodist. I found one that was ok, but I'm uncomfortable going alone & like I said hard w/ the kids. Is it wrong of me to not attend a church? This stresses me out daily & I can't seem to find an answer for myself. Your input would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think you HAVE to go to church. I am a strong believer but do not attend church either. You can read your bible and teach your children God's word at home and if you practice his word then you are doing much better then most that actually do attend church. That is one reason I do not attend church, to many people forget what they have been taught the moment they walk out the door.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• No you don't have to. The scriptures say not to "forsake assemblage". That just means to get together with other Christians. Maybe you can have a study group in your home until you find a place you are comfortable with.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• this is what the scriptures say,

Hebrews 10:24-25 (English Standard Version)

24And(A) let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25(B) not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and(C) all the more as you see(D) the Day drawing near.

It's nice to go for encouragement and uplifting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• no where in the Bible does it say you have to go to church...it does say you should fellowship w/ other believers to help strengthen your faith. personally, i do not attend church anymore b/c ive found most to be about getting that "present" mark next to their name & not worshiping God...so i may not be the best person to give advice on finding a church haha.

but the most important thing is how is your relationship w/ God? thats really all that matters. i wouldnt worry so much about making it to church so long as your faith is strong & you are active in your Bible study. with 3 little boys how much can you focus in church anyways :)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• The bible never says you have to go to CHURCH it does encourage us to be in the fellowship of beleivers (ie: bible studies,christian mom playgroups) I encourage you to read George Barna's book called REVOLUTION.. I have recently stopped going to church because I felt there was something more then sitting on a chair on sunday and then going about life as normal the other 6 days a week...and this book only encouraged my feelings that we need to BE the church not be IN a church.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Can you start a Bible study in your own home? Invite some people from the churches to visit with you and discuss the Bible at a time that works for your kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We just found a church yesterday and the congregation makes us feel so welcome and there are so many cool people there I would totally go if DH wasn't with me.

Church should provide a good community of people for you. Not just a place to learn and worship. If you aren't finding that, you won't want to go. I recommend to keep searching. Also, the children's programs can give you a much needed rest. 3 small boys! Children's church can help!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:11 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I was in your shoes many years ago. I purposed to get my three little ones in church every Sunday I could. It provided us with practical teaching and a connection with other believers that we still enjoy. My three grew up going to youth groups and enjoying many activities that were good clean fun. The friendships were formed that provided two with wonderful husbands. My oldest daughter is the principal of a Christian school today. Church attendance is not mandatory but oh so beneficial. I would encourage you to ask the Lord to help you find a place that you will fit in and a place that your little ones will love being a part of. The Bible encourages us to "not forsake the assembling of yourselves" God knows were really can't do life alone. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 12:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I agree with previouse posters, NO WHERE in the bible does it say you HAVE to attend church or else you will burn in rightouse fire. But it is good to fellowship with other christians, so a bible study at your house is an excellent idea. Also idk where this is but there is a verse that saysa where three or more are gathered in my name there I be also. So you can have church at home. Church is not a specific building in which you have to go to worhip God, but ANY where i could be at the park, as long as you and worshipping God it's church. God bless and may you come to peace with an answer.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

^---- So agree with her! While I haven't read the book she spoke of in her answer response... I can say WE ARE THE CHURCH! The Church isn't a building... but it is the likeminded body of Christ believers.
    I can add my experience... I wouldn't go to church for many years. I did many studies in my home, and had the most awesome relationship with the LORD. So, it can be done. However, I would add, now I do go to church and we do have wonderful people(cont)
    LoveWiseCouncel

Answer by LoveWiseCouncel at 4:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2010