My son says he is an athiest?!

My son recently told me is does not believe in God and is an atheist. I really think he don't believe in God anymore, I don't know what to think about this. I don't want to push him either way, although I do believe in God. Any input on this?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 12:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Pray Pray Pray....That would be a very rough situation if that would be one of my kids. I pray that doesn't happen to me. I would still love them. But i would be praying in overdrive! God does answer prayers. I'll say a prayer for ya.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Just let him find his way. The Bible says if we train them up in the way of God he will find his way back.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• as long as he is good and genuine person it shouldn't matter what religion he is. you should support him as your son, not as your christian. pray and think good thoughts for him, he will find his way. the worst thing to do is make off-handed comments about his religious choices bc that could start debates and problems. my bf and i made a pact to NEVER discuss religion with his mother whom is devout christian and he is an atheist and i am a wiccan. i just respect her thoughts and thank her for praying for me when she does bc for me it's about good thoughts. i believe in the power of prayer whether it's christian or not.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:48 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If he's still young, he's still finding his way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• The worst thing you can do is get into arguments with him over his choice of belief. Let him be and IF you pray for him, DO NOT confront him with the words "I pray for you" because that is very insulting to anyone that has not asked for a prayer. Maybe this is his path maybe its not. But if you nag or try to use guilt you will make him push you away, resulting in loosing contact with him if you push it. Just be happy he is a good person and leave it be.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:04 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• my sisters bugged me when I told them I am an atheist. I agree with pnwmom, dont fight with him. do not tell him stuff like "I pray you find your way back" you can do that without saying anything to him. Remember it is his life, his beliefs not yours. If you hound him you will loose touch with him, like I did with part of my family because they would not leave me to my decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• the best thing to do is tell him out right that you respect his choices and encourage him to explore more...
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• He is questioning his beliefs and this is okay. I would just support him and allow him to explore.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• He could be worse things....it's not all that bad being an atheist ya know. Atheists are very moral, caring, supportive people when given the chance by others.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• The best thing to do is to leave him be and let him find his own way.  Pushing your beliefs onto him will only drive him away from you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2010