If college is so important in order to live and support yourself what do you if you have a learning disability?

I am currently in classes. I've tried and have struggled through it. I'm really worried because I seriously can't do math my way through a paper bag. I've tried extra study time and tutoring. I'm really afraid it will hold me back.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They have to provide a way to accommodate your learning disability. Just check with the Disabled Students Office. Let them figure it out for you. That's what they get paid for.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• The AMA statement says that if you have a documented learning disability they have to provide tutoring and other learning tools.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• College is the right way for many people, but each person needs to find the right career choice for them. Have you talked to your counselor and taken some career tests? Colleges have career centers where you can take tests that can help you make decisions to find the right career for you. Some people do well in vocational, technical or trade schools. Talk to a counselor, and do a little research to find out what kind of program is right for you. If your only challenge is with math, you may find that you can get a degree that requires very little math. Don't give up yet!! Find a career that will make you happy, and use the skills and gifts that YOU have.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i agree with admckenzie. I used to work at the Dissabliity services on my campus... they can help accomadate you. Including at times extended quiz/test time.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Exactly what "admckenzie" said!! I went to college with a guy with a LD... I got paid by that office to copy my notes for him. Just ask for help .... it's there if you need it!! Good luck!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• There are therapists who can teach you how to work around your disabilites. There are college programs for LD students.

If you really want to succeed, you will.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• First of all, an education is not always necessary. Some careers, yes. Others, on the job training may be all you need. There are many orgranizations that suppose those with diabilities to provide jobs and training. However, for just a slow learning disability, many schools and outside organizations provide help. There are ways to teach each person, it just needs to be catered towards your learning style.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Girl don't sweat it! I suck out loud at math...always have, but I managed to get a bachelors in education in spite of my lack of math skills. There are tutors etc. Just keep asking for help. I passed math for teachers of young children with flying colors,but really struggled with college algebra, had to get a tutor, study extra hard, and then take tests right after the study so it was fresh in my mind. I had to take the math portion of the Praxis...teaching exam, twice before I passed, and each section you fail is 60 bucks to take over! You will get there. I believe in you, believe in yourself! As soon as my little ones are school age I am going back to work!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2010