Does drinking tea and coffee lower your body's ability to absorb iron?

Does drinking tea and coffee lower your body's ability to absorb iron? If you have any credible material on this could you please share it with me?

MamaCass05

Asked by MamaCass05 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Health

• I'm not sure about hindering absoption but I know vitamin C aids in iron absoption and its better to get it from food not a pill. Like have spinach and strawberriers or taking your iron pill with oj.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Ohh and if your poop is black its unabsorbed iron....just in case you were curious :)
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I think that some Tea has iron in it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I believe milk that you may add to tea or coffee can hinder the absoption of iron but i expect you would have to drink an awful lot of it to make any difference - unless you have a chronic anaemia problem. Tea is a healthy beverage, so is coffee but not in large quantities and it is contraindicated with some medications.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Here is a great listing of iron-rich foods: www.soystache.com/iron

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2010