Does sugaring maple trees harm them?

Yes we are vegan treehuggers and this is a question my 7 year old posed . I told him I would look it up and forgot til now. It is midnight so when I got a gazillion google hits, I thought I would ask the moms
So We know it is vegan but does the tree heal from being sugared ? anyone ?
Thanks in advance

freedomthinks

Asked by freedomthinks at 1:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Are you talking about when you drill a hole, insert a drip, and let the sap run out to make maple syrup? Yes, the hole "heals", a tree can be tapped every year and it'll always be in a different spot because the hole will fill back up and the bark will cover it back up and the tree will keep growing and reproducing sap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Over tapping of the same tree can shorten the life of the tree. Every time it is tapped scar tissue is produced hindering the trees ability to move fluids and nutrients through the wood. Majority of plant nutrients are moved in the outer layers if too many areas are lost to scar tissue then the trees health will suffer and the tree will die.
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 9:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2010