Can what you eat cause constipation in a 2-week old breastfed infant?

LilySchey

Asked by LilySchey at 1:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am asking this because a lot of moms thimk their bf baby is constipated, :-) but is not...why do you say the baby is constipated? symptoms?
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If the baby is having 6-8 wet diapers each day, that baby is not constipated. It is common for moms to think their infants are constipated when it looks like they are straining to poo, or when they go several days with no poopy diapers, but both of those things are completely normal. I have yet to come across a baby that is exclusively breastfed that is actually constipated - - but many who do the above.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• FYI: It's totally normal for a breastfed infant to go up to 10 days between BMs.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 5:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• give the baby a little karo syrup and water. just a little and it will help with the const. i've never heard it was normal for 10 days to go without poopin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Yes, what a bf mother eats can cause digestive problems for the baby. Mostly if it bothers the mother, it'll bother the baby. I know it's normal for a bf baby to go many days between bms, but none of my 4 bf babies went more than a day without one...even to this day. I would try chamomile baths, no more than 1 oz of chamomile tea given with a med dropper a few at a time. If the baby is projectile vomitting, crying and has hard abdomen and is in obvious distress than I would think constipation.
    34andcounting

Answer by 34andcounting at 8:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Like the others said, it's normal for breastfed babies to go without a poop for several days. All 3 of mine went about 5 days without one and then would have a massive one. If your baby is pooping out hard pellets, then I'd say it's constipation. But grunting, straining and then pooping isn't constipation. But, it's really rare for a breastfed baby to be truly constipated..

MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i know that certain foods that a BFing mom eats can act as a laxative. haha, i ate refried beans and had grape juice the same night. needless to say, my baby was mad at me. he would stop tooting and had several big poops. cleaned out both our systems. i think gas and the runs are more likely. full out diarhea no, but the runs yes.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• *would not stop tooting
    Marri357

• Ma2b is right and yes i asked the pedi and they are not concerned in bf babies go up to 7 days or so with not bm my daughter could go 5 days without going and that was normal for her they said to feel her stomach and check her poops they were always normal so yes they do go longer then breastfed babies and there is less waste hence less poopie..
    kelsbug05

Answer by kelsbug05 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2010