Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaners and smells? Can it be harmful?

So we are potty training our son right now and when he gets upset or gets into something and doesnt pay attention he has accidents. Well he had one today and so my hubby got the carpet cleaner out or just the cleaner solution out and cleaned the carpet. Well when we put our son to bed, you could still smell the cleaner some and i always worry that it is too much to be in the same room with that smell. Is it too much? its not like its bleach or something hard like that but i still worry that its going to hurt not just him but us too. am i being silly?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Health

Answers (5)
  • Yes/No

    Yes chemicals for every product in our house are harmful to us one way or another. I just try to balance it out. Is there anyway you could but something like Biokleen bac out in the carpet machine instead of the regular chemical cleaner ? There are natural odor/bacteria removers.

    I use vinegar/baking soda for many things. Though with that said I do use bleach for the shower/toilet.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • vinegar would be better to use
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • okay thanks ladies...anything to help is awesome. i will have to try those suggestions tomorrow lol...i am sure there will be another accident. thanks!!!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • Most conventional cleaners are toxic.

    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)
    rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • "According to the EPA most homes have airborne concentrations of hazardous and toxic chemicals that are two to five times higher indoors than outdoors - One reason chemical concentrations are so high in some homes is that cleaning products and some perrsonal care products release toxic vapors into the air when they are used - and even when they are stored. This process is called outgassing." excerpt from pamphlet by Richard M. Barry. We have eliminated the toxins in our home - and my children's health and my health are better because of it! If you would like information on how we got the toxins out of our home - please contact me through my cafemom mail.
    Dew1

    Answer by Dew1 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN