5 days old...

is it normal for a 5 day old to cry alot? i mean its not alot but its not a little...

he cries when my husband goes to work he gives me hell but once he gets home he is perfectly fine. he does cry still but not as much. is this seperation anxiety in a 5 day old??

what should i do to possibly make this better? :(

akalei

Asked by akalei at 1:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try wearing baby. I love my Moby wrap,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Are you using a wrap or sling ? That is very comforting to a newborn. Also white noise or heartbeat sounds.

Also swaddling too. Pacifier is up to you( I dont' know if you are breastfeeding), but I like it during the newborn stage because the sucking comforts them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I don't think it's separation anxiety. He's practically fresh out of the womb, so he still needs that warmth and security. I agree, baby-wearing can work wonders.. If that's not your thing, then I'd suggest becoming a pro at the burrito wrap :)
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 2:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• It is completely normal - it is not separation anxiety - your brand new baby needs to be held and comforted in the big, scary new world he has so recently found himself in. Wearing him will help him tons - he'll get comfort from being close to you, you'll have your hands free. . . . . . :) Swaddling is also a good thing - make sure to get him good and snug, just like he was in your tummy. If you are nursing, put him to your breast more often - - newborns often nurse for comfort, which is not only good for them, but also for your supply. If you're using formula, try a pacifier if he'll take one - you might have to try several brands to find one he likes.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Heh, more likely than not YOU are the stressed out one when your hubby leaves. These stressed vibes go straight to baby and make baby uncomfortable. Try relaxing more when your hubby is gone - put on soft music, try meditation, try singing happy songs to yourself and baby, take a fast shower when baby naps(showers always make me feel better). Plus, some babies cry. FF babies tend to cry a lot more because they can't comfort nurse -- get baby a binky if you are FF they need the comfort sucking and don't know how to find their hands. If you are BF, allow as much comfort nursing as baby wants -- this will build supply and baby will not cry much anymore if at all -- and as a bonus BF'ing releases happy hormones to you so it will help ward off PPD and make you calmer in the absence of your hubby. You also got good advice before regarding baby wearing and swaddling etc. baby wants to be close to you (not in devices!!!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i would hold my baby as much as he needed at that age. i have a carrier but front carriers make it extremely hard to cut an onion when you're making dinner. that's why when i first had my now 9 week old, i left dinner as one of those things that became a victim of the new life in the house. i didn't start making dinner again till a couple weeks ago. my hubby didn't like it all that much, but when he took his break from work for christmas he realized why.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2010