tips on how to change a little boys diaper?

I just had a baby boy. I've never been around baby boys let alone changed a diaper... LOL everytime I change him he peepees all over. and he HATES to be changed. He screams and cries and kicks... any tips or tricks you can share?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• put one of those baby washcloths over his penis when your r changing his bum. have u ever seen those Pee-Pee Teepees? http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3468748
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• They make this thing called a wee wee cup. Its in a shape of a cup and its fabric. You put it over him so he doesnt pee all over the place. As for the kicking and screaming normal and there isnt anything ive done that has worked to make him stop.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Seems like a waste of money to me. I have 2 boys and yes, they do pee all over sometimes. There are two things - #1 (and most important!) - BE QUICK! lol #2 cover his peepee with a baby wipe or wash cloth if you can't change him quickly. Also, just another quick tip, make sure you point his peepee down when putting his dydie on. This keeps him from peeing up the diaper and soaking his clothes. As far as kicking and screaming - newborn babies HATE to be uncovered and cold, so there really isn't anything you can do about that. Again, just be quick :) Good luck mama!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 2:12 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• yup just be quick - i have twins 1 boy 1 girl so i've been through both lol...my ds rarely peed during changes but i'm always quick and keep his little bird covered with the diaper
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Either keep him covered with a wipe, cloth, whatever you choose, or keep a towel down on the changing table and make sure hes pointed down so he goes on that instead of everywhere else. Also, I talked to my son from the get go while changing his diaper, letting him know what Im doing in a low calm voice and it seems to have helped with the fussing. Think about it, do you like your legs being thrust up and messed with down there? Just let him know what youre doing and reassure him.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If you open the diaper let the air in on him for 2 to 5 seconds then cover him back up with the diaper for 30 seconds and that should catch the peeing. It is stimulated by the cool air on the penis. For the crying I would give him a rattle or soft little toy that may help distract him and calm him. Good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Yes open the diaper up and then cover him back up. Then point them down do they dont pp up out of teh diaper. As for him not liking being chnaged have all your stuff ready even have the diaper ready and even under him if needed befor removing the old one. Good Luck
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 6:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• They hate being cold, that is why he screams. Take his diaper down in front, let the cold air hit him for a second, then lay the diaper back down for a minute, this way if he pee's because it is cold, he will do it before the diaper is totally off.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2010