bad dreams

my 3yo daughter keeps getting up in the nite and either comming into my bed or on the couch to sleep. when i ask her why she doesnt want to sleep in her bed she tells me that she is having bad dreams. i have tried a nite lite and i have tried leaving on the hall lite but nothing seems to be working. i have also tried asking her what the dreams are about and all i get is her saying bad dreams, ghosts.
is it normal for her to be having bad dreams? is there any ideas as to how i can help her besides telling her that its a dream and its over? any help please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• TV plays a large role in children this age having these types of dreams. Scooby Doo and shows like this play most scenes of scary stuff and children can not seperate real from fiction when they see so much of this on tv
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My son is almost 4 and he wakes up from a bad dream a few times a month. He comes into our room with stories of spiders, purple monsters, and jellyfish, lol. Kids have very vivid imaginations.. it could be something they heard someone say, or saw on tv, something they ate before bed. To help my son, we TRY to make sure he doesn't watch any TV at least an hour before bedtime, one small snack and only water after dinner. When he does say he's scared we give him his light up sword.. it protects him against the scary stuff ; ) When he does wake up, we give lots of hugs and kisses, try to get him to talk about what happened, tell him what happened was just a dream or pretend, and sometimes I stay with him in his room until right before he falls asleep.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 2:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Yes I so agree with ronjwake, you have to monitor what they watch on tv.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• kids this age doesnt understand what dreams are. in a way, they think its like a different life and whatever's in the dream, will actually get them. try doing something to ward off the bad dreams and stuff, if possible.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 6:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2010