My toddler has a horrible cough!

We have the humidifier going full blast in her room, I put vicks on her chest to help with the congestion, I've suctioned out her nose, and I'm trying to get her to drink as much water as possible but we're still up all night with her coughing. Any other tricks I can try??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Give her a warm bath with vapor bath in it. Lay her on her tummy across your legs cup you hand and lightly beat on her back to break up mucus. Also some hard candies can help soothe a cough if you are ok giving it. Candy canes or peppermint candies are the best. Good luck and give the sick little one a hug for me coughing is no fun.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:11 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Also I forgot hot or warm apple juice is wonderful for the cough and to relax a worn out baby.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I feel your pain my daughter went through the same thing aboyut a month ago. She was having this cought, mucus swimming from her nose, and she was hot and cold. I tried a cool bath, baby rub, runny noses medicine, and motrin, worked with little effort. Until I took her to the doctor and she had an ear infection. They gave me a perscription called ammoxicillian I believe (sorry if I'm spelling it wrong) and with that i woyuld give her a cool bath every night, clean out her nose, rib baby vicks when she goes to bed and let her wear a tee-shirt cleared it right up. Also during all this she had diharea so knowing how pediralite is a pretty penny I would delute gaterade or give her a little warm gingle ale. Hoped I helped
    Lele1987

Answer by Lele1987 at 7:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• elderberry! when my son was sick with a cough and runny nose, I did everything you are doing (he was 19 m/o at the time). After about a week, there wasnt much improvement. I went to a health food store, and I ended up buying him some elderberry syrup w/ propolis and echineacea...he was better in a few days!!!! All of those herbs are safe for toddlers. In fact, I found it in the children's section of the health food store! elderberry helps phlegmy coughs especially. It builds up the phlegm and helps with the cough to get it out better, and also soothes the throat if irritated. Propolis is nature's antibiotic. it is a resin from trees used by bees. They use it to clean themselves upon entering the hive (like we use hand sanitizer lol). Echinacea helps boost the immune system. These herbs work together beautifully!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• have you cut out milk?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Wow Thank you owl feather!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know they took all the clildrens cough and cold meds off the shelves because people were killing there children mixing potions it's nice to have natural remedy info.
    Dana42

Answer by Dana42 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 4, 2010