I think my 13 month old is allergic to milk what can I give him?

My son has been having bouts of constipation on and off for awhile me and my husband just thought it was all the iron in the formula but he is on cows milk now and still has it and I have read that milk allergy can cause constipation and eczema which he also has I fell so bad because if he has been allergic and I didnt know I havent done anything about it anyone out there who can offer any advice please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a good friend who had the same problem it took her 2 years to figure it out. When she did she switched to soy milk and her daughter was instantly better. I can't stand soy milk but if my baby needed it I would get it for her. Also get the vanilla kind the regular kind taste awful.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:03 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If possible I would consult with your child's pediatrician. Alternatives to cows milk include lactose free milk which is sold at most grocery stores or soy milk. It may not be an allergy at all and a simple sensitivity to the natural sugar found in cows milk. My oldest had this issue when he was younger, it was on soy based formula due to a sugar sensitivity, he out grew the sensitivity and can now consume cows milk. However I would still ask your pediatrician before making the switch as they may be able to determine if it is in fact an allergy to lactose in general or a sensitivity to the sugar. The key may be in whether he can consume other lactose items such as cheese and yougurts.
    My2BoyznMe0508

Answer by My2BoyznMe0508 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• dairy is the #1 food intolerance, allergen. they don't need the milk. My kids get water when they are done with breastmilk. I don't do soy, there is a lot of sugar in a lot of the soy milks out there. I would try almond milk, unflavored if i felt as though i had to get some sort of milk. I do christmas baking with lactaid. We have oatmeal for cereal when we are low on time in the mornings. Green vegetables provide a better source of Calcium than milk...it is easier for the body to get. In the US, we consume more dairy than any other country and yet we have more osteoperosis (sp?)! It seems weird to not give milk, as we were all trained that it does a body good, but it is really not natural. humans are the only animals that consume milk of another species, and also the only animals that consume milk beyond the infancy stage. You may need to eliminate butter, ice cream chocolate...
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• that happened/happens with my son also. he is 2 and still can't have milk or dairy products but has no problem with soy and soy products. also he can tolerate lactose free milk based ice cream - its still trial and error with him these days!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• There is soy milk and rice milk. I would talk to your doctor. I'm sure he will give you an alternative. Alot of kids are allergic to dairy :-(
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 11:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2010