Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In the state of georgia, if the father signs the birth certificate, does he have rights to the child? I remember years ago i was told that a womans brother ( just an example) could sign the birth certificate and it meant nothing for him to have rights. Which is true? he does or he doesnt?

I forgot to add....if they arent married at the time of the child's birth.

Answer Question

Asked by skemp24 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Yes if he signed the birth certificate then yes he has rights. Not many because they were not married but he has some. I suggest they go to court & get custody settled. Its easier than fighting!

    Answer by rebel07 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • rebel07 is correct. He does have rights to the child because in signing the birth certificate he is recognizing that he is the father of that child. You will have to go to court and figure out custody/visitation schedule. It would not be a good idea to keep the child from him because he can use that against you in court.

    Answer by vnw1405 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • I would think he would have full parental rights, he's the father, and he signed the birth certificate. The other part, the custody and visitation, you do have to go to court for. But I do think the father has all the rights, even if they aren't married.

    Answer by Raine2001 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • i think so...i live in ga and my sons father did not sign so has NO rights so we had to do paternity testing for child support and he still has no rights even though he is ordered to pay because he is the father...he has to hire a lawyer if he wants rights to my child.

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

  • if yall aint married if you wasnt married when you had the baby NO...the reason i know is because i have two kids by the same dad and he claims one for his taxes and we was not together and he wasnt gonna let me get them back while i was gonna get off work and i had to go to the sheriffs dep to get them to go out there with me to get them...and they asked him if we had went to court to have the legimazed and paperwork on it and we both told them no and the cops told him right there that he aint got no rights over my kids

    Answer by angel_in_love at 6:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • ok here is an update..i just talked to a lawyer and he said it depends on the age of the child that they have changed some laws but to do this still he has to sign two papers at the hospital but i was telling you right to start off with...but just because he signs the birth certificate dont give him no rights until he signs the other two papers

    Answer by angel_in_love at 8:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.