Why do you need to take prenatal vitamins when pregnant?

Are there certain vitamins and minerals that you do not get through foods you eat? What are they?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What it is is the baby is taking all the nutrients it will need from you, and guess what if you don't have enough you will get sick, the baby will be fine but you wont. I can't take them early in my pregnancy they make me sick, but when you do take them you will notice you feel better because you aren't as depleted.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• There are not enough of what the baby needs in what you eat depending on what you eat. Basically you wont be getting everything through diet alone. So yes, absolutely, yes you need prenatal vitamins while prego and breastfeeding.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• folic acid is an important one, your doctor will probably mention it. Although I quit taking my pre-natals while I was pregnant. My stomach couldn't handle them. I have some severe digestive problems. I was eating flinstones chewable vitamins though. But, if you can take the pre-natals and not get sick all the time then it's extremely important.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You need to replace the nutrients that the little parasite is sucking out of your body.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If they are making your sick, like the PP mentioned, you can get your vitamins other ways.

I have liquids I take. Much much easier on the stomach.

You should try to eat as healthy as possible. Vitamins aren't always fully absorbed as supplements. Food is the best source of nutrition.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i understand the idea of them and they are a great idea but i didn't take them with my last pregnancy and everything turned out fine, but i eat decently to begin with.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• To make sure the baby is healthy. In every way possible. I know they are a pain to take , cause those pills are so big. (i call them horse pills ,lol) Cut them in half and take them that way if its too much. But you really need to take them.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i think very few americans eat as healthy as they would need to to get all the nutrients needed. like lots of raw fruits and veggies, including lots of raw greens. also plenty of whole grains and folic acid. i know i certainly don't! maybe like 5% of Americans do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I never took them. They made me horribly sick. All my kids turned out fine and I survived. I can't remember to take vitamins and the only kind I've ever been able to stomach are Flinstones (which is what I took with my first 2 pregnancies but gave up after a few months because I was only taking them a few times a week because I kept forgetting). The vitamins aren't for the baby, they are for mom. As my OB explained it, the baby will get all the vitamins it needs from mom but that leaves mom deficient so they take the vitamins. But really vitamin pills aren't really absorbed that well anyway. I find it pointless. They never did anything for me when I did remember to take them...except make me feel sick.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2010